Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 3, 2017 at 11:03 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(July 1, 2017 at 8:55 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Why are you talking about hair? I'm talking about moral subjectivity. Do you really not grasp that?

If you are using different value judgements for the same act based on who the actor is, you are practicing moral relativity. This horseshit about ontology is irrelevant.

Yes, because as long as you are not committing a category error, the logic is the same.
And again, you seem to be confusing relative with subjective, which is the point; I was trying to make.

(July 1, 2017 at 7:30 pm)Astonished Wrote: Try extrapolating it out to different nations and maybe that will help, and remove god from the equation (although Israeli schoolchildren were tested in this way and said it wasn't wrong for a god-backed army to do the same thing as a Chinese army that they did consider wrong). Is it wrong for X nation to gas the minority population that disagrees with the ruling party, but not for Y nation to do the same? If not then there's no way to justify any other party's immunity to this. Distinctions destroy the entire argument.

I find that morality more often than not, has to do with the why, rather than the what (when it comes down to it).

I agree, it's a result-oriented system with intention playing a big part behind the actions when well-being is the axiom. Things like the identity of the agent are superfluous largely, is all I'm getting at. Unless it comes down to things like a family member choosing between who they help or save, either their fewer loved ones or numerous strangers (or the sinking lifeboat situation where you have to choose which people to save based on attributes; but then that gets super subjective); but then that's one of the rarities and not a general rule, as are most things wherein there are certain situations where even a truly reprehensible act can be morally permissible depending on circumstances. And even if you can't call saving your own single child at the expense of five strangers' children, it can certainly be understood why a person would do that, and even if we were the parents of those lost children, we could empathize by putting ourselves in that parent's shoes and admitting we would probably do the same thing even if we generally feel that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Astonished - July 4, 2017 at 12:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6427 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8899 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5565 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81358 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36960 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5220 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22134 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet