Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm)Little Henry Wrote:
(July 2, 2017 at 1:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I never said God's nature is arbitrarily good.  What I did say was that the standard of goodness which God's nature meets must come from himself, or it must come from somewhere else.  Those are the two horns of the dilemma, and they are inescapable.  Saying that God's nature is "necessary" adds nothing to the question.  It is a non-answer.  Either the standard of goodness comes from God himself, in which case it's arbitrary, or it comes from somewhere else, obviating God.  It's irrelevant whether it "necessarily" comes from God or not.  Contingency and necessity have nothing to do with it.

By saying it can come from somewhere then you are saying that it is contingent.  That is to say it is a property that he could have lacked. This is incorrect. Gods moral character is ESSENTIAL to him. That is why i said it is a part of his nature. That is, there is no possible world in which God could have existed without those attributes. God didn't come to being loving, holy etc by accident or by luck.

Also his nature doesnt come from himself. He didnt decide his own nature.

You are confusing a logical dependency with a temporal/physical dependency. The good is contingent upon having a certain relationship to God's nature in order for it to qualify as the good. You've simply asserted that God is good and has always been good. In order for God to qualify as the source of morals, he must be good in a particular way; not simply be good. In order for God to be the source of morals, the question is not whether or not God is good, but what logical relationship God has to the good. If he simply is good by virtue of his properties, whatever they are, then that is indeed an arbitrary logical relationship. In order for God to be the source of morals, he must have the right sort of relationship to the good. You've simply dodged the question. Whether or not God is the source of morals depends upon his relationship to the good. If the good exists independent of God, and the relationship is that God is good because he meets that standard, then God is not the source of morals. The question is not "Is God considered good?" but rather "Why is God considered good?" You've completely failed to answer that question and it is that question which defines the logical relationship between God and the good. That is the substance of the dilemma, and you've once again failed to meet it.

(July 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm)Little Henry Wrote:
(July 2, 2017 at 1:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I did no such thing.  I posed a dilemma with two horns.  Either God's nature is good because the standard of goodness comes from himself, or because the standard of goodness comes from somewhere else.  There is no third option.  Claiming I assumed something I didn't assume is just more waffling on your part.  You can't refute the dilemma, so you're just throwing out arbitrary answers.

Both horns have been refuted.

Not even close. You confused logical with temporal/physical dependency and simply dodged the question by asserting that God is good. In order for God to be the source of morals, he must have the right sort of relationship to the good. You didn't address his relationship to the good at all. You merely offered a definitional argument that God is good by definition. That doesn't answer the dilemma.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Angrboda - July 5, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6433 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5572 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81370 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36962 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5224 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22143 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet