Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
Quote:Quote:My opinion is that most people believe in objective morality no matter what they want to call it. It is only the atheists who is more philosophical in nature that discovers that it must be subjective and label it so out of loyalty to the cause.  [Image: smile.gif]

Once again steve resorts to this rhetoric .It does not matter what most people believe . No one here is claiming atheists are more philosophical in nature. Nor is there an atheist cause. Nor any reason for anyone to take up a position in the name of said nonexistent cause. That's once again you projecting.

(July 6, 2017 at 3:30 pm)JackRussell Wrote:
(July 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm)Little Henry Wrote:
Situational, that is why i am arguing for objective morality, not moral absolutes.

What are these 2 levels?

Good and bad are value judgements. Not right and wrong.

By denying an objective standard exist, you are declaring right and wrong dont exist in regards to the issue you are discussing.

Good and bad are value judgements. Again, if OM doesnt exist, then there is no such thing as objective good or bad.

Your problem my friend is that you like everyone else absolutely realises objective morality exists, but you are trying to ground it in something else other than God.

You cannot ground it in things like the victim. By doing so and being adamant that OM does not exist just really means that you are sufferring from a delusion. But it is obvious to you that you are not sufferring from a delusion because our moral experience indicates so strongly to us that certain acts are factually right and wrong. 

You are going around in circles. Your argument which i dont even think you believe to be true would result in a scenario where the victim thinks the rape is wrong while the rapist thinks its right.

I want you to think carefully now, how can something like rape be both right and wrong at the same time without the violating the law of non contradiction?

Its like saying the earth is both flat and spherical in shape. 

If you really DENY OM existing which i know you dont, at best you can only say, the victim finds it undesirable, but not wrong.

You really dont want to bring the country's laws into this discussion because at one stage it was legal to gas Jews and homosexuals in a particular country. Does that make it right?

Show me how.

Just to show how incoherent this notion is. Lets pick something that IS subjective and lets pretend it is asked in an exam.

Q. Chocolate ice cream ITSELF tastes better than vanilla ice cream.

Is the answer right or wrong?

Suppose you answer yes. The marker gives you a cross. 

Unless there is an external standard OUTSIDE both of you, ie the fact itself to decipher, then NO ONE IS RIGHT OR WRONG.

Please REFUTE THIS.

Well you are right, choice of ice cream is preference and not an important moral decision. Choice of ice cream does not(actually it could if you had a medical condition predicated on avoiding ice-cream, but I am assuming as a hypothetical that's not true), affect wellbeing, It does reflect on personal responsibility, which may affect my response in parentheses. So, in a broad brush response to this question their is no right or wrong. But it is not an important moral decision. Morality is about wellbeing, it's difficult, but there is no way your answer makes a supernatural omnibot necessary.

I know I am dim, but I don't see how how being a Christian would make me any brighter on this issue?

He will just keep repeating it and ignoring you it's all he's got
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Amarok - July 6, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 846 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6442 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5575 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81407 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36963 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5229 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22151 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet