Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 12, 2017 at 2:27 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 12, 2017 at 1:12 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: 1. That's completely wrong.  If God exists, then by definition, his nature is the only objective source of morals. <- this argument is this argument -> 'might makes right' argument. 

You've not demonstrated that objective morality must exist if a god exists. 

2. A point of clarification (I was not clear in previous posts). God is bound by his nature. We are bound by God's commands. They are not the same thing.

Then your god is not infinite if it is bounded by anything. And we aren't bound by god's commands since we are able to make our own decisions and choices.

3. None of your choices are correct. God could not create a set of moral objective standards.

There are things that exist that your god does not control and/or did not create? Then your god is not all-powerful nor all-knowing. If it could not create a set of objective moral standards then it is also not all-powerful or all-knowing. Your god is losing power very quickly from the way you keep describing it.

Why do you think that nearly everyone believes there is a such thing as objective moral truths yet can't really articulate where they come from?

Because people are generally stupid. Believing in objective morality but being unable to show that objective morals exist, suggests to me that they don't exist despite the desperate attempt people make to special plead them into existence (which is especially interesting if in their special pleading they end up defining their god into obscurity, as you've done). [4]

Infinite is clearly modifying nature in that sentence. His nature had no beginning. 

By definition, something that is infinite most certainly could be constrained. Infinite is a measure of duration, not ability.

If your god is infinite in any way, then it is not bounded or constrained. You don't know what infinite means and you're making your argument look like even more BS than it is as a result. [5]

1. I've demonstrated the if objective morality does exist, it must exist in the nature of God or fall on one of the two horns of euthyphro's dilemma.

2. 'Infinite' does not have anything to do with ability.  

in·fi·nite
ˈinfənət
adjective
limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.

God cannot violate his nature (for one thing, since his nature is perfect, violating it would be an imperfection). He also cannot do anything that is logically impossible. You are right, we have been given free will so we are not 'bound'. However that is the standard we will be measured against--our boundary for morality. 

3. You are missing the very important part that has been front an center in all my recent posts. It is God's always existing, unchanging, superlative nature that is the source of morality--not his actions. Please note the difference--it is important.

4. So...most people are just stupid. You must be fun at parties.

5. Infinite is an adjective. In this context, it modifies an attribute of God. There are many many many things about God that are not infinite. His patience for one.

1. I've demonstrated the if objective morality does exist, it must exist in the nature of God or fall on one of the two horns of euthyphro's dilemma.

You've demonstrated you believe it but not that it is necessarily required of a god.

2. 'Infinite' does not have anything to do with ability. 

Either god's abilities are unlimited (it is all-powerful and/or all-knowing) or they aren't. It can't be both. That is a paradox 

3. You are missing the very important part that has been front an center in all my recent posts. It is God's always existing, unchanging, superlative nature that is the source of morality--not his actions. Please note the difference--it is important.

You've also claimed that these objective morals exist independent of your god and that your god didn't create them. yet more contradiction.

4. So...most people are just stupid. You must be fun at parties.

I didn't say most people are stupid as a blanket generalization. Don't straw man me in such a blatantly dishonest way. Some people are stupid and many people are stupid about at least something over the course of their life. But yes, I do think most people who believe in objective morality in the way you describe are being stupid about it. I don't know of a nicer way to say that, so there you go. 

5. Infinite is an adjective. In this context, it modifies an attribute of God. There are many many many things about God that are not infinite. His patience for one.

Either your god is infinite, or it isn't. You keep describing it as being infinite in some sense, but then define limitations on its infiniteness. Your god concept seems extremely ill-defined. It sounds more like you grasping at straws to keep your god concept on a pedestal. Insecurity is a real bitch...
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by TheBeardedDude - July 12, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6433 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5572 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81370 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36962 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5224 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22141 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet