Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 12, 2017 at 5:46 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote:
(July 12, 2017 at 5:07 pm)SteveII Wrote: If you would spend more time on reading comprehension and articulating your point instead of congratulating yourself on how smart you and your pals are, this would be a lot shorter.

1. Still confusing. The existence of God creates a set of objective moral standards. It does not require morals to be objective. There are many other moral systems . I'm sure the cannibals in Africa had some sort of moral code. Khemikal thinks harm is a good system. However, anything short of what I described is not objective. 

2. Omnipotent? Yes. However, that word does not mean can do anything: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence#Meanings
Omniscient? Yes. God knows everything that can logically be known (including counterfactuals). 

3. You misunderstood. 

5. That is a better word. I will use 'eternal' in the future.

1. Yes.
2. That does not logically follow. God has rights, authority, responsibility, knowledge, and perfect moral clarity that we do not have.

I'm going with an omniscient God understands his nature. Then the rest of your post does not apply.

I'm tired of you being an insulting dickhead. Fuck off with your self-righteous pseudointellectual bullshit

Cheers
TheBeardedDude

*Applauds* Finally, someone realizes it's fruitless to argue with that dipfuck. When a person clearly does not understand their own intellectual failings, trying to educate them is hopeless.

Not going to specifically respond to any of what was going on the last handful of pages, but here's some shit I just feel like ranting about:

Free will does not exist. Free will requires the consent of those being granted free will and none were consulted about whether they wanted to exist to participate in this experiment or not. Informed consent also factors in, namely that we would have to all have perfect, unquestionable understanding of every facet of existence, including our creator and afterlife, and we have none of that, ergo if there are eternal consequences of a positive or negative nature, our ignorance of that inhibits our ability to make an informed choice about anything. Not to mention knowing that there IS a carrot-and-stick coercion is a direct violation of free will. Leaving us to figure out 'right' and 'wrong' on our own without regard to any external consequences would be the only true test of free will. So anyone using free will as an excuse for anything can shove it so far up their ass it could be used as a baby Xenomorph.

The only way in which an agent could be objective is if their actions never differed regardless of circumstance, and the identity of the agent committing one action or another was irrelevant. Because god says one thing and does another, that is clearly not objective (and flatly hypocritical). Fairness is also an issue that I personally find damning about the whole thing, as no god of any loving capacity would play favorites or even be capable of doing such, and yet that's practically all we see in that ham-handed stone-age tabloid. Also making love entirely conditional, what the fuck does that say about the nature of this insecure demon? Make the right capitulations or you don't get love or mercy...this is proof fucking positive that the heavily religious have no idea what the fuck love is, let alone morals. Fuck right off with that shit.

I would think that settles the damn matter but I'd bet dollars to donuts some asshole is going to ignore it or play some mental gymnastic game to make it sound like something they can actually argue.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Astonished - July 12, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 846 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6450 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5579 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81426 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36965 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5236 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22169 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet