Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 12, 2017 at 7:39 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 12, 2017 at 6:26 pm)Inkfeather132 Wrote: Alright then, now we have that god will not tell us to do something immoral, correct?
My next question then is, will he ever change his morality? For instance, will he command people to do something (thereby making it moral) and then later command them to do the opposite (thereby making the opposite moral and the original immoral)?

And I thought of another one, if god does something and gives his reason for doing it, can I do the same thing if I have the same reason he did?

God could not tell us to do something immoral. Since his nature can't change, every command will be moral at the time of the command or for the intended duration of the command. 

You do not have the same rights, authority, responsibility, knowledge, and perfect moral clarity that God does, so...No.

For the duration? No, it has to be moral forever after the command otherwise there is a change. Once god commands something, it IS moral. Unless he can change his morality?

So there is a double standard going on. God can do it because he is god, and I can't do it because I'm not god.

Objective morality means that something being right or wrong is a natural fact. Rights, authority, responsibility, knowledge, perfect moral clarity and especially feelings have no bearing on objectivity so leave them out of this. If something is objectively right, then it is right no matter who does it. Same for wrong. So if god always does what is objectively right, then I can do whatever he does knowing that it is objectively right. So the question is: Does god always do what is objectively right?

(July 12, 2017 at 7:35 pm)Tizheruk Wrote:
(July 12, 2017 at 6:26 pm)Inkfeather132 Wrote: Alright then, now we have that god will not tell us to do something immoral, correct?
My next question then is, will he ever change his morality? For instance, will he command people to do something (thereby making it moral) and then later command them to do the opposite (thereby making the opposite moral and the original immoral)?

And I thought of another one, if god does something and gives his reason for doing it, can I do the same thing if I have the same reason he did?

Note all the assertions in Steves argument if only he could answer in a way that does not collapse back into the dilemma .

What rights? What grants him those rights? why should anyone care about his rights ?

Same goes for authority

Having a responsibility does make it moral

Having knowledge does not make the one moral  

perfect moral clarity begs the question and even having clarity does not make one moral

And none of this matters because it's arbitrarily assigned

It's kind of the same question as "Who made god then?". You're absolutely right, it is all arbitrary. The whole argument seems to be that God is moral because God says he is moral. Which is the definition of subjective morality.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Inkfeather132 - July 12, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 846 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6450 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5580 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81427 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36968 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5236 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22169 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet