Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 13, 2017 at 12:44 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(July 13, 2017 at 11:35 am)Inkfeather132 Wrote: Lol, not sure how good of an argument you'll have with me when I barely understand all this Smile For instance, I'm still a bit fuzzy on: Is there an objective moral standard? Does objective morality even need one? If it does and there is, what is that standard?

Better a question that I ask you then tell you.  Is there something that makes some thing x, bad?  Let's take an example of something that you think is bad.  Is it bad, because it is your opinion that it is bad?  Obviously, you hold the opinion, but does your holding that opinion make that thing bad.  Could it be "not bad"..or even good, if you..personally held a different opinion, or changed that opinion?  Is it something about -you- that makes thing x bad, or is it something about that thing x? If the latter, can that be objectively verified? If you say to me "X is bad because such and such"....will I be able to look at such and such, free of your bias by simple virtue of not being you, and say - "okay, I see what you said would be there"?

Does objective morality need an objective moral standard?  By definition, yes.  Do you?  Probably not.  If you thought that something was wrong without any expllanation for why, and it happened to be the thing that some other objective standard also considered wrong..the practical difference is nil.

What do you think that standard is, what makes something bad, and why? What are we talking about when we talk about morality? What are we referring to when we determine that something is good or bad?

Well, for me personally if something does harm to another person then it is wrong. But is that because an objective standard says so, or is it just my feelings? What about a sociopath? Their morality can be very different because they don't feel empathy, right? And even without being a sociopath, a person can believe that hurting a person isn't necessarily bad. Maybe they think they are above that person and therefore have the right to hurt them. Or they believe everyone must fend for themselves and if you are too weak to keep others from hurting you then that's your problem. What says I am right and they are wrong? I'm not saying that a moral standard has to be a god; it could be a natural force, a mathematical equation, or anything really. But I feel like there has to be something to make objective morality work. Otherwise, how can we know which person is right?

And just a random thought here, do animals factor into this at all? Or are we just focusing on humans?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by Inkfeather132 - July 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6425 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8899 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5563 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81351 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36959 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5218 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22131 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet