Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 13, 2017 at 5:23 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(July 13, 2017 at 5:10 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I would not equate harm with immorality, or lack of harm with moral.  Although it may be involved in a very basic guideline (I would agree, that you shouldn't seek to harm others for selfish reasons)
Yes you would...in fact...I'd suggest that you would be incapable of -not- doing so.  

Quote:As C.S. Lewis pointed out; someone who tries to trip me and fails is in the wrong, while someone who accidentally trips me is not.  Your principle of harm would see to reverse this.
Far be it from me to rebel against what the great moral theorist CL Lewis had to say on the matter.....I agree.  A person who attempts to trip you and fails is oin the wrong.  Why?  Because he attempted to harm you.  Someone who does so on accident is not...why, because he did -not- attempt to harm you.  Why would my principle of harm reverse this...and don't you find it telling that you have just failed to escape harm in attempting to criticize the objective moral foundation of harm?  

No, you are incorrect;  I do not equate harm with immoral. Also as you agreed with the example from C.S. Lewis; it was the act in which no damage was done, that was immoral, and not the one in which harm was committed.   So as we seem to agree, the wrong in this example is in the intent, not the objective damage done.  Now one could say that it is in the intent to harm (in which I think you lose your position for objectiveness in your view).  Could I can steal from a rich man, because I don't intend him harm, I just wish for my greater well being (would this be moral)?  And as I said, I it's not about how we know what is moral, but the nature of morality itself.  Why is it right or wrong?

Quote:
Quote: Does this harm extend to all living things?
I don;t know, it -at least- extends to humans, so?  I'm willing to entertain the notion - got a specific living thing in mind?

Quote: What about non-living things?
Most likely not, at least in and of themselves.  Kicking a rock isn't immoral.  Kicking in my window, is.  

Quote: If I destroy some thing of mine, is that immoral?
Depends, does it cause harm?  Are you destroying the cure for cancer, or yourself...perhaps something your family depends on?
Just got pissed off, and harmed my phone from a sudden impact with the wall.

Quote:
Quote:And all of this, is describing what is moral (epistemology).  However it doesn't answer the question of why anything is wrong, or why one ought not to do these things.  So while I agree, that harm is objective (at least for the most part) and independent of the subject (I think some arguments could be made for psychological harm here),  I still don't think that you understand the argument that is being made.
Jesus, there you go again.  What argument do you think is being made?  What argument am I supposed to not understand?  The argument you aren't making, or the argument that I'm not making?  The phantom argument?  How could my answer to that question, -why anything is wrong- be more explicit than "because it causes harm"....?  Are you...somehow, under the impression that a full moral assessment of some x can both begin -and- end with an invocation of the axiom?  

If you are talking about how we know what is right or wrong, or if X is immoral, then you are on the wrong track. It is about if there is a morality, independent of the subject, in which we can compare right/wrong.  It's not about what is, but what ought. 

As we seen, you made statements which don't agree with "because it causes harm" as being immoral.  It sounds good, but doesn't hold up upon closer inspection (even if it is explicit).  

Again, it's not about assessment of if X is moral or not.   It is about morality itself, by which you are making the comparison and can even equate it with moral or immoral.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by RoadRunner79 - July 13, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6425 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8899 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5563 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81350 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36959 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5218 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22130 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet