Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 19, 2017 at 12:26 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 18, 2017 at 5:29 pm)JackRussell Wrote: 1: Why has God given me a defect in my brain?

2: There are evolutionary/genetic and behavioural studies on this, trust me I have read LOADS on this.

3: Brain states and evolution baby. It ain't objective, it's all about wellbeing, and cantankerous primates can disagree, we aren't all alpha-males and I don't feel the need to be right. I just want to be nice and have never seen the evidence for the supernatural, that's your bag.

4: Come to England and drink a warm beer, that might piss you off. But I am a remainer and would offer you a French lager.

But seriously, why could morality not come from human experience? Do you not think we knew that murder was wrong before Sinai? And even if you are right, how does that make your claim different from any other posited god?

I prefer Occam and evidence. Parsimony and libations.

1. I don't believe God was the cause of the defect.
2. Evolutionary?
3. Read the NT. Talk to someone who was changed. Talk to a missionary who ministered in some remote place where God's work is more apparent and needed.
4. Was in England last month. 25th wedding anniversary trip. Portsmouth, Oxford, Harrogate, Lake District. 

I believe that morality is written on the heart of every (normal) human.

Occam was a monk, philosopher and theologian. His razor principle is one applied to scientific inquiry. Investigating God is not scientific in the slightest. 

The fact that there are other religions have no bearing on the question of truth. There are many ways in which Christianity is better evidenced and reasoned than other religions.

And sloppy language doesn't help your game. Hearts facilitate blood circulation. The brain is where the real human shit happens, and it's curious because we all interpret our brain states in slightly different ways.

Hope you had a good time in the UK, and I think I am a normal human that happens to be bi-polar.

I have spoken to people who have changed, in both directions. I have spoken to Muslim converts here in the UK that were previously either secular to Christian. I believe that they have changed, I have no way of assessing the agency behind that change.

If I can'y examine god claims scientifically, which many of your co-religioinists say I can, then why should I bother? The god that exists must know how I can be convinced, yet he has never bothered. And why is he a he? That's a bit telling to me. I quite like the empowerment of women, most religions don't seem to be aboard with that.

Evolution explains diversity and is a fact. I don't care what anybody else believes, but I don't like my kids being lied to.

I can't tell the difference from pious misunderstanding and pious lies. I would rather take Socrates over Messiahs.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by JackRussell - July 19, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6431 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5569 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81369 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36961 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5223 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22139 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet