Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 4:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supermathematics and Artificial General Intelligence
RE: Supermathematics and Artificial General Intelligence
(September 5, 2017 at 5:37 am)ThoughtCurvature Wrote: Mathilda, in contrast, research is going in directions largely concerning very general algorithms, or general intelligence.

Don't forget about unsupervised learning models that already exist today (and are only improving):

(1) Manifold learning or Deepmind's "Early Visual Concept Learning with Unsupervised Deep Learning"

(2) Generative Adversarial Networks that uses unsupervised learning (See Wikipedia "Generative_adversarial_networks")

I've been working on unsupervised learning models for over 20 years but thanks for telling me that they exist.

While I agree that unsupervised learning is a step in the right direction towards artificial general intelligence, or strong AI, there is a big difference between a AI that can learn a static data set unsupervised and one that can act, learn and relearn in real time. This is important because the real-world is not a static data set.

I am also well aware of the need for generalisation. As far as I am concerned, this is the key reason why so much AI fails. People get excited by initial results but don't realise that the challenge actually lays in scaling it up because by doing so the problem domain grows exponentially.

You also did not respond to my point that about EU's GDPR which demands that automated decision making needs to provide explanations which will dramatically reduce the profitability of the current deep learning approach. It is precisely because neural networks lack explanatory power that I have stopped using them myself.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Supermathematics and Artificial General Intelligence - by I_am_not_mafia - September 5, 2017 at 6:03 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artificial Rain Technology Foxaèr 13 1285 August 10, 2021 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Artificial Photosynthesis The Grand Nudger 2 617 March 6, 2018 at 8:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Artificial Neural Networks for 'kids' Face2face 0 582 November 24, 2017 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Face2face
  Human defeated by Artificial Intelligence, from confidence to utter powerlessness causal code 15 2686 October 29, 2017 at 5:16 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 1024 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Let's measure intelligence in 2016 ErGingerbreadMandude 19 3574 March 24, 2016 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The general wisdom is that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity plawnkhan 12 3009 October 10, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  Intelligence, Creativity, and a Touch of Madness Rayaan 11 3989 October 25, 2014 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Creationist Vs Scientist On Why Human Intelligence Is Declining Gooders1002 0 1178 March 29, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  General Info on Migraines thesummerqueen 2 959 October 14, 2011 at 9:21 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen