Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 8:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(August 16, 2018 at 4:29 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Hey..here's a theory?  Might it be the case that a more visceral anti-colonial resentment in se asia..combined with right wing agit prop and parody, and legitimized by psuedo intellectuals trading on irrelevant qualifications....has led to your current understanding of the pc left?

Do you know something about Korea, now, or the Asian views on colonialism? Do you know something about my relationship with Asian culture, other than that I live in Korea? And, most importantly, WHY do you keep trying to dig into my personality in order to explain my positions, when I'm explicitly stating my reason for holding them? So now my list of moral shortcomings include: anxiety, insecurity, a persecution complex and. . . how even to word this? Anti-colonial resentmentism? Could it not be that I just think there are too many lazy incompetent assholes, and I see the patterns by which they are trying to excuse their shortcomings, and that because there are so many of them, their essentially negative and escapist views are working their way through western culture like intellectual cancer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

I'm telling you in no uncertain terms what the PC left is. It is those who define the world in terms of victimhood and villainy, based on broad demographics rather than individual lives. Now, we can debate whether things SHOULD be framed in that way. I'd argue that yes, in fact we do need some of that. I would, for example, offer scholarships and as much financial and social support as possible for the dwindling native population, and that this support is so important I'd blanket the entire demographic with it, whether individuals really need the assistance or not.

However, I'd argue that PC memes, collectively, serve to enable and justify poor behavior. Now, I can't say that the people I've personally had to deal with represent the PC left; I can, however, say that they were definitely drawing strength from the PC left in dodging their personal responsibilities. As I said before, I think it's similar to the terrorist--Muslim relationship: not all Muslims are terrorists, but a heck of a lot of terrorists are Muslims. Not a lot of liberal left are PC assholes, but the PC assholes are definitely a product of the left. You'll note that Peterson doesn't castigate the left or the right-- it is the RADICAL left that he's always talking about-- i.e. the ones I call liberal fascists.

My perception is that there's probably a great deal of that-- I suspect it is nearly all-pervasive. People tend not to take responsibility for their own shortcomings, and the PC meme-set is such a convenient ready-made narrative that I would be surprised if every failed artist or musician, every unemployed asshole with a philosophy degree, every black person who grew up in a perfectly decent neighborhood but didn't study hard enough to succeed in college-- I would be very surprised if those people DIDN'T spin this ready-made complaint about demographic oppression.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by bennyboy - August 16, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 18747 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 337 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 720 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15471 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4122 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1708 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9634 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus