Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 12:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
What you haven't done, Khemikal, is open yourself up to flipping that script, and really examining your own 1-2-3.

What you do, and the far left in general does, is very similar to what the right does, just with different keywords that trigger you. You sniff out someone who doesn't automatically agree with some point you hold dear, than put them in that -rightwing propagandist- category, at which point you consider them sufficiently demonized that they can be disregarded, along with the opinions or views of anyone whose language or views you think have a non-zero overlap.

Engaging with stereotypes in this way, rather than engaging with each individual idea, is dangerous. There's no guilt by association of ideas. You can see that I'm against the methodology of the extreme left, but that I share many of the political and ideological ideals of the left wing. And this presents great difficulty to you, I think-- because if you are willing to discard me, and my arguments, wholesale, you might remove some criticism of the PC Left, but will also alienate a reasonably intelligent support of the ideals of the left.

That you do this is instantly obvious. When I was engaged in producing examples or explanations for my ideas, you were equally busy-- finding memes bywhich to disregard me. "Awwwww. . . life is so hard for a white man" is language which clearly serves this purpose. "Oh. . . you're just a puppet of the right, even though I have enough respect for you to believe that you are unaware of this fact" really is right along that same line.

So when you say that my narrative, that the PC Left deliberately use stereotyping to control speech, and to guide the narrative of political or philosophical discussions, and then you say stuff like that, then what's left to say? You're doing it. You're doing the thing everyone is talking about. You're doing it, and you shouldn't do it, because (1) it's very weak argumentation, and (2) by being so intolerant of free discussion, you are, in fact, alienating someone whose views would have a very high overlap with yours.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by bennyboy - August 25, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 18780 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 337 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 721 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15476 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4122 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1710 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9634 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus