Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 5:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(August 27, 2018 at 1:47 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: I don't know if I would call Jungian philosophy outdated, it's still very relevant in analytical psychology. Granted I have a very rudimentary understanding of psychology. I think Peterson's ideas on personal responsibility are a lot more straight-forward than most, "Stand up straight with your shoulders back... choose friends who want the best for you..." This in contrast with other self-help books that tout ideas like, "Follow your passion." All in all I could do without the mythology when it comes to Peterson's teachings, but I don't hate it either.

I don't really have strong feelings about the guy one way or the other. I wouldn't exactly call Peterson right-wing either. I don't think there's anything mind-blowing about the guy but I don't hate him either, as many seem to.

One thing's for sure, he's succeeded in getting people to talk about him. Can't hate the guy for that.
The thing about Jung is that the philosophy behind his psychology is so vague and impossible to test that, from a contemporary scientific perspective, it's kind of useless as psychology. I've taken several psych courses, and I can tell you firsthand that I've heard more from my creative writing teacher about Jung than the psychology teachers. Even Freud's theories were (at least on occasion) potentially falsifiable (there is, admittedly, some argument about that), even though most of the time, his theories don't hold up. Jung fails on even that front.

And on Jordan Peterson not being right-wing? Well, with his staunch opposition to referring to transpeople by their given pronouns (admittedly, understandable when one tries to figure out how to pronounce pronounds like "xir"), a very essentialist attitude towards gender, a strong belief in limiting sex to being within marriage, a big hard-on for religion as a controlling force (to the extent that he said one needs God to quit smoking, something he immediately back-tracked on when Matt Dillahunty pointed out how stupid that was, and turned into "well, having a religious experience on shrooms counts"), and an obsession with the excesses of Communism. Now, I have to admit, Trump's raised the bar pretty damn high (at least he's not as racist as an alarmingly high number of his fans are), but that still sounds pretty right wing to me.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by Rev. Rye - August 27, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 18787 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 337 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 721 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15477 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4122 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1710 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9634 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus