Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is well-represented in the Sciences.
RE: Atheism is well-represented in the Sciences.
(July 4, 2019 at 7:31 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(July 4, 2019 at 5:39 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Interesting results.  It seems, though, that in almost every case, the number of believers are still in the majority (sometimes significantly so).

Boru

The so-called conservative Christians are in a small minority, which is really the most important result.
You mean the ones that voted for Trump?

(July 5, 2019 at 11:10 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Then why be glad, if it doesn’t matter?  There’s no way around the fact that facts are at odds with religious beliefs.  Unless those counter factual beliefs have absolutely no effect on the process of inquiry...that’s a problem.  Hell its a problem... but only for the religious, if they don’t.
Facts? Is there a universal theory now and no one told me?

(July 9, 2019 at 9:33 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(July 9, 2019 at 2:22 pm)wyzas Wrote: But that's just it, Russell's teapot is not your idea, not your original claim, the proof is on the other. It's OK to say "I don't know what's there", but I/you don't need to indulge the ideation of the teapot. 

But you be you. I'm certainly not going to give even passing/neutral credence (the maybe) to a fantasy proposition.

If someone has a claim that they propose I adopt as true, they carry the burden of proof. I have no reason to accept their claim as true unless I find the proof they offer satisfactory. We agree there, right?

But that's what I'm, saying, Brew. No one can offer satisfactory proof that giant invisible creator leprechauns don't exist. People who say, "I have no reason whatsoever to believe that giant creator leprechauns exist" are highly reasonable. But people who say, "I know that giant creator leprechauns don't exist" (while also very reasonable) have no basis for the knowledge they claim. The claim that "giant creator leprechauns don't exist" is a positive claim. If you say that, you carry the burden of proof. And (as reasonable as it is to deny the existence of giant creator leprechauns) the claim that they do not exist is just as completely unfounded as the claim that they do.

This isn't lending the leprechaun hypothesis undue credence. It's honestly stating what you do and do not know.
Dude, I've warned you about badmouthing leprechauns and Fairies before! Dude again, Fairies are other dimensional tree lovers with a serious 'tude! Leprechauns live in rocks! Everyone knows this! When was the last time you were in a rock! K'den.  Angel

(July 9, 2019 at 5:46 pm)EgoDeath Wrote:
(July 3, 2019 at 10:18 pm)Jehanne Wrote: One can be an open atheist and at the same time a well-respected scientist:

Pew Research Center -- Scientists and Belief

In particular, I was pleased to see the percentage of physicists and astronomers who were wholly atheistic:

Wow, it's almost as if being well-educated and intelligent lessens the likelihood that one is religious. Imagine that!

Hehe

/sarcasm

Interesting post though... I wonder what god's children have to say about this?
Because religion is stupid! As a Major representative of God's Children...Religion, Theology and Science are all stupid and we know it.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism is well-represented in the Sciences. - by Haipule - July 11, 2019 at 1:19 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well....Maybe Minimalist 17 4298 July 22, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well This Isn't Good Minimalist 5 1349 January 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Well Said, Doc. Minimalist 4 1340 August 18, 2013 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Meteor Shower This AM (Bonus ISS action as well) The Grand Nudger 3 1538 August 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower