Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well Said, Doc.
Well Said, Doc.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/s...-1.1458052

Quote:In principle, there should be no controversy over well-supported scientific evidence, but sadly this is not always the case. Not only do people dispute evolution, many deny the existence of man-made global warming, despite incontrovertible evidence.

Why do intelligent people expound such views in the face of the evidence? It is likely that their particular worldview plays a part, particularly when the plain findings of research challenge beliefs or opinions they hold dear.

I would dispute the notion that creationists are intelligent. They are frightened little assholes who can't bear the thought that their bullshit is not true.
RE: Well Said, Doc.
(August 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I would dispute the notion that creationists are intelligent. They are frightened little assholes who can't bear the thought that their bullshit is not true.

I think there is a core issue at work within them. So, yes.
I'm reminded of this
[Image: DIHI9.png]
(August 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I would dispute the notion that creationists are intelligent. They are frightened little assholes who can't bear the thought that their bullshit is not true.

For many of us, it was more a case of ignorance and not recognizing that we were using the conclusion as the starting point and working backwards. Even so, once you apply a bit of intelligent thought to the concept, you are quickly on your way to not being a creationist. How long the process takes depends on how stubborn you are.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

I'm reminded of that every time I think of creationism!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism is well-represented in the Sciences. Jehanne 46 5549 July 15, 2019 at 5:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Well....Maybe Minimalist 17 4297 July 22, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well This Isn't Good Minimalist 5 1349 January 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time franca 2 2299 October 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Somebody said this to me cdabamsworth 57 21453 June 19, 2012 at 5:16 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Meteor Shower This AM (Bonus ISS action as well) The Grand Nudger 3 1538 August 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower