Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christians, who needs them?
RE: christians, who needs them?
(January 28, 2009 at 9:55 am)Sam Wrote:
(January 27, 2009 at 11:46 pm)chatpilot Wrote: A christians idea of logic is nothing more than senseless dribble and delusional thinking ... You can slap a christian in the face with all the logic and reason known to man and he will still choose faith in the absurd!!.Christians,who needs them !! Lmoa

I should probably play the apologist here, I feel we all too easily slip into pigeon holing "Christians" or "Theists" as one entity as chatpilots post does. I know many "Christians" and people of other religions who have a very logical mind and can debate on the stories of the bible, ethics and modern Christian views very eloquently and I know many who base their faith on a wider spiritual belief. My point is a large proportions of people of faith do not believe word for word the dictats of their respective holy books and it's important to bear that in mind.

On a slightly different note, it occurs to me that these same people who claim to be "Christian" or "Muslim" etc... but have their own view on religous observances and traditions must at some point no longer exist in that religion ... surely if they believe that they are given the word of God but choose to interpret it otherwise they move away from their own religion? I've alwayd wondered where that distinction lies, any ideas?

Thanks

Sam

I agree with you there. Not all theists are the same. I know many people who believe in God but don't believe in the Abrahamic God that is described in the bible. Most Christians consider themselves Christian as long as they believe in Jesus Christ, and nothing else. I also think most Christians don't even question their beliefs, so it doesnt occur to them that they are irrational. I know when i was a christian, i didn't. It was more of 'well this is what everyone believes so it must be right'. It was only until I looked at religion non-biasly that I realized that Christianity wasn't positively the true or right religion more than any other in history. That eventually led me to atheism. so everyone is different I guess.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley

Messages In This Thread
christians, who needs them? - by bozo - January 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by LukeMC - January 27, 2009 at 5:04 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Edwardo Piet - January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - January 27, 2009 at 11:46 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Edwardo Piet - January 28, 2009 at 12:10 am
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - January 28, 2009 at 1:25 am
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Sam - January 28, 2009 at 9:55 am
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - January 28, 2009 at 6:23 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Rockthatpiano06 - February 7, 2009 at 4:53 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - February 7, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up!! Minimalist 7 1275 October 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1139 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1621 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3685 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  This Judge Needs To Be Impeached Minimalist 15 2956 April 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13058 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  One of Jehovah's Witnesses needs your help Won2blv 46 7413 May 1, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Chas
  Atheism Kills Off the Ambition of the Lower Classes and Makes them Anti-Social Blackrook 59 29076 July 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Amalynne0
  God has emotional needs tor 5 1191 March 20, 2014 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Ethiopian Village has no religion and prospers - The neighbours hate them The Valkyrie 7 3378 December 14, 2013 at 4:16 am
Last Post: Esquilax