Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade
RE: Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade
(May 10, 2022 at 10:26 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(May 9, 2022 at 4:49 pm)Aegon Wrote: The fact that you didn't anticipate a guy like Trump after Obama shows you don't understand the problem with the Democratic Party as it exists today. Trump's election was a direct result of Obama's ultra-moderate agenda and lack of any genuine "change" that he promised on the campaign trail. Hillary Clinton was seen as an extension of the ultra-moderate agenda people took issue with, and so voters (stupidly) thought electing an "outsider" like Trump would result in real change - of course in America we have no inkling of class consciousness, so electing a billionaire was not at all electing an outsider, but whatever. I don't know where this idea of Americans preferring moderate policies comes from. It's just not true. People want legitimate change and most voters do not have strong favorable opinions of either parties, but rather see one party as better than the other.

And the same thing that happened in 2016 will happen now, with abortion rights, as people correctly point out that the Democrats have not attempted to do anything about it.

I knew a Republican would likely get the White House in 2016 after a two-term Democrat, I just thought Trump was too extreme and clownish to get the win, but a lot of small factors (plus the one big factor Republicans galvanized to turn out after 8 years of Obama) aligned to get him in office despite his opponent getting millions more votes than he did. It could easily have gone the other way, that was one of the things that was so frustrating about it. The only thing the Democrats dropped the ball on was some of them (like me) thinking there was no way an asshat clown like Trump could beat Clinton and voting for alternate candidates (one of the small factors that aligned in Trump's favor).

I don't know why so many people can't seem to absorb the fact that the majority of Democrats are moderates. The same thing happened in 2020, many progressives were sure a moderate like Biden couldn't win the primaries, let alone the presidency. I know the feeling, when I was a Libertarian I really thought Ron Paul had a shot in 2012, but I was in a bubble with too many Libertarians in it.

Like I said, Trump winning made perfect sense to anyone who was paying attention to Obama's faults.

People can't absorb that fact about moderate Democrats because it's objectively false. The majority of Democratic voters support policies that are seen as more "progressive" by the mainstream, corporatist liberal wing of the party. Take Medicare-for-All as an example; 54 percent of Democrats favor a single-payer system ala Bernie Sanders' proposal and 33 percent support a public option. However, the Dem establishment is not interested in tackling either of those ideas. Why not? At the end of the day, Democrats DO NOT represent Democrat voters well. As the poster above me also pointed out, there's a reason they pretend to be more progressive on the campaign trail and then tell everyone to go fuck themselves once they get in office. Another reason not to entertain their bullshit anymore, as that tactic only works because we allow it to.

People think of themselves as moderate, but "moderate" means nothing in today's society, and most people do not actually hold "moderate" political philosophies. When you ask voters how they see themselves, it's not a politics survey, it's a psychology survey. Because "moderate" implies being rational and level-headed, and they do not see themselves as extremists of any kind. Not to mention that politics in America is officially about cultural issues, with economic issues being left in the dust. The traditional method of analyzing how people feel about politics and the parties is fundamentally flawed, in my view.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade - by Aegon - May 11, 2022 at 12:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roe v. Wade is gone. Jehanne 641 49603 April 24, 2024 at 11:10 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Leaked Pentagon documents. WinterHold 8 693 April 15, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2252 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1282 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am. WinterHold 26 1126 January 15, 2021 at 6:24 am
  Split decision by SCOTUS on Bunkerboy's taxes. Brian37 15 697 July 10, 2020 at 5:41 am
  Court Ordered Quarantine brewer 2 446 October 24, 2019 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 763 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 1009 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
  Saudi Arabia: Leaked reports reveal severe abuse of political prisoners-The Guardian WinterHold 6 1117 April 13, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace