Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am.
Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am.
[Image: RTS2VGMJ.jpg?resize=770%2C513]

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-TRUMP/I...bpgyrympq/

Quote:House vote on the 25th Amendment resolution

Quote:The U.S. House of Representatives voted on a resolution Tuesday that formally urged Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to strip President Donald Trump of his powers. As lawmakers debated the resolution, Pence sent a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that said he would not comply.

The resolution passed on a near party-line vote, 223 to 205. Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois was the only Republican to vote in support of the resolution.

With eight days remaining in Trump’s term, the House will vote Wednesday on an article of impeachment accusing the president of inciting insurrection in a speech last week before a mob of supporters stormed the Capitol, leaving five dead.

America's image would benefit tons if he got impeached before he finishes his term. I will respect America more if he got thrown out now.
He should be impeached and even sent to jail for life.
RE: Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am.
Well, with Yertle the Turtle actually being in favor this time, we might actually pull it off. Not in time for January 20, but still.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/mi...hment.html
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am.
(January 13, 2021 at 3:57 am)WinterHold Wrote: [Image: RTS2VGMJ.jpg?resize=770%2C513]

Quote:House vote on the 25th Amendment resolution

Quote:The U.S. House of Representatives voted on a resolution Tuesday that formally urged Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to strip President Donald Trump of his powers. As lawmakers debated the resolution, Pence sent a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that said he would not comply.

The resolution passed on a near party-line vote, 223 to 205. Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois was the only Republican to vote in support of the resolution.

With eight days remaining in Trump’s term, the House will vote Wednesday on an article of impeachment accusing the president of inciting insurrection in a speech last week before a mob of supporters stormed the Capitol, leaving five dead.

America's image would benefit tons if he got impeached before he finishes his term. I will respect America more if he got thrown out now.

He'll be impeached. He won't be removed from office. He may go to jail, but it won't be as a result of the impeachment.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 13, 2021 at 5:29 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 13, 2021 at 3:57 am)WinterHold Wrote: [Image: RTS2VGMJ.jpg?resize=770%2C513]

He'll be impeached. He won't be removed from office. He may go to jail, but it won't be as a result of the impeachment.

Boru
I wouldn't bet against them impeaching him and removing him from office. Now that the party is over -I think a whole lot of R's want to put as much distance as they can between them and the train wreck.

I always thought it stupid to call an impeachment an impeachment without sucessfully removing them from office. 

That should be called impeachment interruptus.....
He'll go, then he'll wail and moan from the nether reaches and divide the Grim Old Party sufficiently to insure President Harris is re-elected in 2024.
(January 13, 2021 at 9:13 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(January 13, 2021 at 5:29 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: He'll be impeached. He won't be removed from office. He may go to jail, but it won't be as a result of the impeachment.

Boru
I wouldn't bet against them impeaching him and removing him from office. Now that the party is over -I think a whole lot of R's want to put as much distance as they can between them and the train wreck.

I always thought it stupid to call an impeachment an impeachment without sucessfully removing them from office. 

It’s like similar legal proceedings - first you get charged, then you get tried.

What I think is stupid is requiring a 2/3 vote to convict an impeached president - if his conduct is so heinous the 66 senators vote to kick him to the kerb, he should be so kicked.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 13, 2021 at 12:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 13, 2021 at 9:13 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I wouldn't bet against them impeaching him and removing him from office. Now that the party is over -I think a whole lot of R's want to put as much distance as they can between them and the train wreck.

It’s like similar legal proceedings - first you get charged, then you get tried.

What I think is stupid is requiring a 2/3 vote to convict an impeached president - if his conduct is so heinous the 66 senators vote to kick him to the kerb, he should be so kicked.

Boru

What would you think better? Unamity? A simple majority?
Looking up the laws for impeachment in various countries, it looks like a supermajority of 2/3 tends to be required for impeachment in most of the nations I've been able to find. I found a majority for 3/5 in the Czech Republic, Lithuania, and Turkey, and a simple majority in Italy.

While looking up the reason why a 2/3 supermajority is so necessary for this case, I found this article, and while it's by a conservative think tank, it at least gives a good reasoning: ensuring that officials don't get removed from office for strictly partisan reasons (like Biker seems to believe is going to be the default now.)

On the one hand, after how poorly the first impeachment went, with Trump blatantly breaking the law and even publicly admitting to it, the Republican Party actually working with him to ensure it becomes as much a sham as possible, and getting away with it, part of me is inclined to think that a simple majority would be a good idea, but then I remember that, oh yeah, the Republicans are the party of rejecting your reality and substituting their own, and QAnon becoming an increasingly major force in politics despite its being based on a bunch of anons "Yes And"-ing each other on a Chan board [one that, on a side note, has some of the biggest stashes of CP on the web, despite QAnon being supposedly motivated to save children from the cannibal pedophilic Democratic elites], not to mention that the Republican Party keeps fucking investigating Planned Parenthood for the same goddam crimes, keeps finding nothing, and still keeps doing it, one conclusion becomes unavoidable: this is probably an idea for a country whose politics are sane, not America.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 13, 2021 at 12:57 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(January 13, 2021 at 12:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s like similar legal proceedings - first you get charged, then you get tried.

Boru

What would you think better? Unamity? A simple majority?

Simple majority. If a president can't convince half the senate that he's fit for office, he should go. Since it only takes half the House (+1) to impeach, it seems as if the Senate should be able to convict by the same margin.

Boru
(January 13, 2021 at 4:36 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 13, 2021 at 12:57 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: What would you think better? Unamity? A simple majority?

Simple majority. If a president can't convince half the senate that he's fit for office, he should go. Since it only takes half the House (+1) to impeach, it seems as if the Senate should be able to convict by the same margin.

Boru
Better equip the Oval Office with a revolving door then......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4461 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  House Bill 6720 Jehanne 19 2556 December 16, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK - after Boris Johnson? Dundee 21 1598 July 17, 2022 at 5:07 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade Cecelia 234 17092 June 7, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black' zebo-the-fat 25 1502 January 31, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1636 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  BREAKING:Clashes erupt after Trump loyalists march against election results WinterHold 28 2070 December 14, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Burning down the House Brian37 12 1166 December 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  It's a flat world after all. <-Disney, but SCARY! Brian37 63 4767 May 23, 2020 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Impeachment Vote Predictions onlinebiker 28 2198 February 9, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb