Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking meaningful advice from atheists
RE: Seeking meaningful advice from atheists
(May 12, 2022 at 7:04 am)h311inac311 Wrote:
(May 10, 2022 at 6:12 pm)Belacqua Wrote: I was thinking some more about the Mary Sues. It does show an interesting development in popular media, and you're right that it expresses a change in values. 

It occurs to me that a lot of pop media is intended as wish fulfillment. We identify with a character who always wins, for whom all desires are fulfilled and all difficulties overcome. This character has the coolest stuff and the most attractive demeanor. 

For men, the paradigm is probably James Bond. Minimal backstory, good at everything, sharpest clothes, can operate any and every vehicle without training, more effective at using violence than anyone else. He gets any woman he wants but is never saddled with the negotiations required for a long term relationship. He has the coolest watch, the coolest car, etc. But note that this only includes guy stuff -- it never says he has a beautiful apartment with interiors done by a professional designer, because that would be girly. 

Then there are a thousand variations on this, with less famous characters in books and movies serving the same function. You can choose the version that appeals to you. You've got your American tough guys, your military tough guys, your rich tough guys, your tough guys living on a house boat. Etc. ad nauseam. 

Until recently the women's version of this was romance novels. Women were assumed to want different things, and these books were designed as fantasy wish fulfillment of those desires. 

Now women's desires are assumed to be, often, similar to men's. The ability to solve problems through violence, the ability to say cool one-liners to demonstrate their superior coolness. The ability to be good at every kind of technical or skillful activity, without training. 

We notice the Mary Sues as unrealistic because it's new for women, but it's really just inviting women into the same old boring fantasy that men have been buying for a very long time.

Well if I'm not mistaken when we are first introduced to James Bond he is already in his 20's and it is implied that he has been training to become an agent for quite a some time. In addition to being naturally talented at his job, James also had to train with MI6 for many years in order to obtain all of his skills. Also, Mr. Bond does have MI6 to thank for all of his cool gadgets, cars and clothes. 
Rey, on the other hand, had to scavenge parts on a desert island and occasionally fight off bandits with here big metal pole in order to be a perfect pilot who can beat a Sith apprentice in a lightsaber duel. I get that James is a bit of a gary stu but at least his backstory makes sense for the kind of character he is. Also, there are countless times throughout the James Bond franchise where Bond gets himself into very difficult situations to get out of. Times where he is captured and needs to think of a clever way to escape or else he will face certain death. Times where he needs other agents to help him out. 

Mary sues don't need any teammates or clever thinking in order to prevail, they're just handed everything they need right from the get go and the rest of the world needs to get out of their way or face certain defeat. Nothing is earned and Mary is never in any believable form of danger so there are no steaks and no tension. This is the problem with making your main character too over-powered, especially if they don't even have any emotional or internal struggles to face. We want to see our characters grow, we want to see them overcome obstacles, not just get handed everything because the writers think they're special.

Yeah, Star Wars never had inexperienced or relatively unskilled characters defeat improbably odds before Rey. It was completely startling given the context that in Star Wars, age and treachery always beats youth and cockeyed optimism. Then a woman lead comes along and they totally change the formula.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking meaningful advice from atheists - by Mister Agenda - May 12, 2022 at 9:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Grad student seeking atheist to interview brookelauren25 97 6549 February 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2874 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24461 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2532 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Need advice for going to college Won2blv 33 4618 September 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5679 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6848 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17734 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  atheist looking for advice jackriot100 56 9568 February 15, 2015 at 5:02 am
Last Post: emilynghiem