Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice?
I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice?
Okay, I feel like my mom is starting to emerge to the atheist side. One time she said "I'm starting to sound like an Atheist, but I'm not an atheist. I'm a christian." This raised some questions from me. Because I noticed she's showing signs that she's coming to the atheist side. When she said this, it seemed to confirm what I've been thinking. I'm a little bit nervous though, because she claims the belief in god helped her avoid suicide. I suppose it's possible that ditching the belief in God would help her even more because knowing that SHE is the one who saved herself from suicide may be empowering to her, but then again, when I realized God doesn't exist, it devastated me... and I haven't gone through anything near as bad as she went through.

I stopped discussing religion with her, because I'm not always nice about it... but if I'm right and she is becoming an atheist, I dunno what to do. I suck at being there for people. I feel that if she does end up becoming an atheist (or maybe she is already and she's in the closet perhaps to herself) she may need someone to be there for her... i.e another atheist.

Sorry for rambling... do you have any advice on what I'd do to be there for her should she come out as an atheist? Thanks a bunch.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice?
I'd say to reassure her that absolutely nothing real has changed, only her understanding of the world. There is no need for her to let go of the idea of God, and what it represents to her. Maybe realising that this God is really her own inner strength will help her realize she should credit herself more.

She is still the same person, as are you, and you can be there for her. She can keep in her mind all the good things about the image of God/Jesus, without having to hold onto all the contradictory nonsense and trying to justify all the evil in the world and in the bible. Maybe over time she won't need them anymore, and will realize it was just her all along.

I'd say not to try and rush her, but to be there for her as she makes the journey in her own time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If she truly becomes an atheist, she won't need a support anymore because by that point she'd have realized, she has supported herself her whole life, and that invisible crutch she relied on had only held her back.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Tell her to sign up here.  There's a shitload of people who have thrown off the yoke of ignorance.
(October 16, 2015 at 3:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Tell her to sign up here.  There's a shitload of people who have thrown off the yoke of ignorance.

That's actually not such a bad idea! If she gets psychological problems again, she'll have support from some nonbelievers.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Get her a cake.
(October 16, 2015 at 3:07 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(October 16, 2015 at 3:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Tell her to sign up here.  There's a shitload of people who have thrown off the yoke of ignorance.

That's actually not such a bad idea! If she gets psychological problems again, she'll have support from some nonbelievers.

You state that as if you thought Minimalist usually had bad ideas.

For the OP, if she is becoming an atheist, great.  There is no need to press the issue, and she should take her time to make up her mind.  I took my time in deciding (what is the rush?), and now I am toward the more extreme end of the spectrum regarding atheism.  I am a strong atheist, so taking one's time about such matters does not indicate how far one will go.  It is best to think carefully and not rush to a decision, and if that is what your mother is doing, great, that is what she should be doing.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Personally, I would ask her if she's familiar with the concept of Deism.

If not, explain I would it to her.

That might be for her, if she's still conflicted about Atheism.

It doesn't apply 100% of the time,
but I find that many Theists who consider leaving the church,
but are still on the fence about their actual faith,

just need to be asked if it's really the idea of God  that they want to leave behind,

...or just the idea of RELIGION.

Many Theists don't even realize that it is possible for the concept of God
to exist independently of the idea of Religion.

She may eventually become an Atheist,
....but it might be too daunting of a big jump, all at once.

So why not run the Deism concept past her, and let her muse on that for awhile?

Because it sounds to me like she is searching.

PS:  Are you American? As an intriguing point of trivia to pique her interest, you can let her know some of the American founding fathers were not, in fact, Christians....but themselves, leaned toward Deism, too.  Including George Washington.
Get a Thai takeaway and watch the Hobbit trilogy.

That's what I would do ^_^
The big thing is to not push the subject, IMO. Given she's had problems with suicide/depression, the last thing you should do is push her in any direction during this vulnerable time. Mention resources (like this forum) in a helpful way, sure, but use a gentle touch. Let her come to her own conclusions naturally.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking meaningful advice from atheists Ad Astra 85 5157 May 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: h311inac311
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2616 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2776 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4534 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 6981 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24013 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2452 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  Iceland is becoming atheist. Jehanne 13 2682 February 8, 2018 at 12:08 am
Last Post: haig
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 16410 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13140 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok