Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 5:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please do correct me if I am getting this wrong.
RE: Please do correct me if I am getting this wrong.
(July 8, 2022 at 4:52 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 8, 2022 at 4:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think you're asking about radiocarbon dating. If so, then both the isotope AND the amount of that isotope matter very much. Most radiocarbon dating is done by determining the amount of a specific isotope of carbon in the sample being tested. This is usually (but not always) carbon14, since the decay rates are well known. There's also a process called 'isotopic fractionation' which uses other carbon isotopes.

Boru

Ok so this is half and half understanding and misunderstanding on my part.

So that idiot who was claiming isotopes don't matter at all, he is full of shit because context does matter. It does depending on the context we are talking about. Thank you, I knew I wasn't going crazy.

An aside, every time I figure out what atomic weight is, I remember for a while, then forget. I hate that.

The claim that 'isotopes don't matter at all' is simply wrong. You need to use isotopes that have a half-life appropriate for whatever you're testing. For example, carbon14 has a half-life of 5700 years, which makes it useful for dating things like bones, clothing, wooden artifacts, etc., but makes it all but useless for dating things like rocks (there are isotopes of other elements used for that).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please do correct me if I am getting this wrong. - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - July 8, 2022 at 5:03 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Hubble can it wrong? little_monkey 24 3868 November 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Not sure if this is the correct folder.. lifesagift 14 2057 October 11, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  God vs Big Bang- Are either correct? sswhateverlove 132 21979 September 15, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Was Newton wrong? little_monkey 7 2553 May 31, 2013 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Colanth
  Galileo was wrong, the Church was right Entropist 27 10811 September 18, 2010 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Zen Badger