Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 8:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran
RE: New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran
(July 16, 2023 at 1:56 pm)Helios Wrote:
Quote:A thought experiment;

I downloaded a digital copy of the Quran(pdf), made roughly a hundred copies in the same folder then deleted the folder on my PC.

Am I now equivalent to the nazis? What If instead made 1,000 copies or 10,000? If not why not?
Deleting a digital copy of the Quran is not the same as burning a physical one in public as an act of protest.

I disagree. I don’t see how a physical copy of a book is different from a physical copy. Thanks for that example Nay Sayer.

And please read my “The issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions” in this part of the forum on that issue.

Again from a spiritual perspective this attitude is nothing. I am someone who uses scriptures (religious texts) for my own personal spiritual growth.

The issue here is merely symbolic. That Guy is saying “I hate you so I will destroy something that means something to you”.

It’s a cultural issue and it hits exactly in the right spot. Let me explain:

Culturally, some Muslims hang their holy book on the wall rather than to place it on a bookshelf. There are also non-verified accounts of early converts to İslam not even daring to move because “the book of God has been hanged on the wall of the house”. In the old days it was believed that no one should even touch the holy book before doing some ritual cleaning. There used to be this body of unfounded beliefs on the holiness of the object itself.

Today (I mean since at least 20 years), we don’t really care that much about these issues. Still what this guy is going (unlike the blasphemy issue of Charlie Hebdo for instance) is to determine some culturally sensitive areas and then to use them to psychologically attack an entire group of people. I don’t think he would bother if all of them were like me, but that’s the point. He is hitting deep into the cultural identity of the Muslim community and is therefore getting some reaction.

And I have nothing to say to people like that. I only expect the rest of the population (of entire Western Europe) to be smarter on issues like this. That all Smile
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran - by Leonardo17 - July 20, 2023 at 3:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 89 3493 May 1, 2024 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20661 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1329 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4546 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 2960 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 49086 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 12838 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 872 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 15280 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  [Quranic Reflection]: acttion against Macron's insult in the light of the Quran. WinterHold 56 7747 November 3, 2020 at 10:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate