Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letters of Note
Letters of Note
Friend passed this blog along, which is interesting in itself, but I thought I'd share the post regarding one of my personal heroes - Ben Franklin.

Quote:From the pen of Benjamin Franklin comes a furious letter, written in 1775 to William Strahan — a British Member of Parliament who had, until that point, been a friend of thirty years — as the American Revolutionary War took hold. Franklin quickly had a change of mind after penning it, and it was never sent; however, word of its content later circulated and it soon become famous.

If anything, it's a lesson in how to sign-off with style.

Transcript follows. Image courtesy of the Library of Congress.

[Image: 6516044833_197b10146c_o.jpg]

Quote:Philada. July 5. 1775

Mr. Strahan

You are a Member of Parliament, and one of that Majority which has doomed my Country to Destruction. You have begun to burn our Towns and murder our People. — Look upon your hands! They are stained with the Blood of your Relations! — You and I were long Friends:— You are now my Enemy, — and

I am,

Yours.

B. Franklin
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Letters of Note
Interesting... it was around that time in 1775 that William Strahan's sympathies with the American colonists' plight was replaced with hostility. I guess Benjamin Franklin wasn't amused.
RE: Letters of Note
That needs to be an intellectual meme somewhere.

"Ben Franklin is not amused." We need to find a frowny picture of him.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dealing with a real Death Note robvalue 23 2509 June 13, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My private sticky note page. ignoramus 12 1976 January 2, 2016 at 4:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do Atheists celebrate Christmas? Or does Santa ignore your letters to north pole? ErGingerbreadMandude 13 1522 December 20, 2015 at 6:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Personal note DeistPaladin 14 1920 January 20, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  So... I just came home from work to find this note my girlfriend left for me... Mudhammam 22 7557 October 1, 2014 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie