Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with a real Death Note
Dealing with a real Death Note
This is an imaginary fantastical scenario question. For those not interested, please drive through!

For those not familiar, Death Note is a brilliant manga/anime series about a titular magic book, which has the power to kill anyone whose name is written in it. (There's a bit more to it, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the show yet.)

Pretend this happened for real; or at least, it appeared to. A series of unexplained deaths all happened to be recorded in a book this guy had. Further observation of the guy shows that people continue to inexplicably die shortly after he writes more names (minimum 40 seconds in the show).

What would be the legal implications? If there was no physical evidence that connected him to the murders other than writing their name, could he be held accountable? Would anyone even have grounds to confiscate the book? Would the law eventually have to change, or special consideration be made, assuming he just continued to "kill" people?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Dealing with a real Death Note
(May 19, 2018 at 8:17 am)robvalue Wrote: This is an imaginary fantastical scenario question. For those not interested, please drive through!

For those not familiar, Death Note is a brilliant manga/anime series about a titular magic book, which has the power to kill anyone whose name is written in it. (There's a bit more to it, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the show yet.)

Pretend this happened for real; or at least, it appeared to. A series of unexplained deaths all happened to be recorded in a book this guy had. Further observation of the guy shows that people continue to inexplicably die shortly after he writes more names (minimum 40 seconds in the show).

What would be the legal implications? If there was no physical evidence that connected him to the murders other than writing their name, could he be held accountable? Would anyone even have grounds to confiscate the book? Would the law eventually have to change, or special consideration be made, assuming he just continued to "kill" people?

I want that book!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I think eventually even the most skeptical people would come to believe he or at least the book had some sort of magical powers as long as this went on for long enough and then the law itself would have to change around him to accommodate for what he was doing.
Are the killings motivated or is this whim/random/phone book killing?

(phone book, jesus, how archaic)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Once it became known that it was real, the police would come up with trumped up charges and take the guy into custody for as long as possible. From there, things could get tough.
(May 19, 2018 at 8:17 am)robvalue Wrote: This is an imaginary fantastical scenario question. For those not interested, please drive through!

If you have evidence that there is a real connection between the two, then do you need to understand how?  You might have to show, that the person knew they where killing people by writing their names in the book, but other than that it doesn't seem that difficult to me.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
I’m thinking that the best hypothesis would be that this guy somehow knows who is going to die and when.

(May 19, 2018 at 10:00 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Are the killings motivated or is this whim/random/phone book killing?

Well in the series there is a motive. In this scenario I’m not assuming there is any reason. Maybe they just like knowing how hard it will be to prove.

(May 19, 2018 at 10:25 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: Once it became known that it was real, the police would come up with trumped up charges and take the guy into custody for as long as possible. From there, things could get tough.

I think you’re right. Some action would have to be taken, but they could hardly publicly state why.

(May 19, 2018 at 10:31 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:

If you have evidence that there is a real connection between the two, then do you need to understand how?  You might have to show, that the person knew they where killing people by writing their names in the book, but other than that it doesn't seem that difficult to me.

I suspect it wouldn’t be enough in the current legal system. It would be granting a book magic powers.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 19, 2018 at 10:25 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: Once it became known that it was real, the police would come up with trumped up charges and take the guy into custody for  as long as possible. From there, things could get tough.

Which actually did happen in the show, for the record.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 19, 2018 at 12:15 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(May 19, 2018 at 10:25 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: Once it became known that it was real, the police would come up with trumped up charges and take the guy into custody for  as long as possible. From there, things could get tough.

Which actually did happen in the show, for the record.

I did watch it, some years ago. Perhaps it seeped back into my consciousness, a little. But my thought process was that it's something the police will do.

edit: Now I remember the very end of the show. It did indeed get tough.

(May 19, 2018 at 11:51 am)robvalue Wrote: I’m thinking that the best hypothesis would be that this guy somehow knows who is going to die and when.

(May 19, 2018 at 10:00 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Are the killings motivated or is this whim/random/phone book killing?

Well in the series there is a motive. In this scenario I’m not assuming there is any reason. Maybe they just like knowing how hard it will be to prove.

I think you’re right. Some action would have to be taken, but they could hardly publicly state why.

(May 19, 2018 at 10:31 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: If you have evidence that there is a real connection between the two, then do you need to understand how?  You might have to show, that the person knew they where killing people by writing their names in the book, but other than that it doesn't seem that difficult to me.

I suspect it wouldn’t be enough in the current legal system. It would be granting a book magic powers.

The thing is it's, not always enough to prove something happened (which, here would be difficult enough in itself) but to show how and why. I don't think the scientific knowledge of Japan could prove a link to a spirit realm which is what causes the deaths IIRC, and even then how do you prove or explain any of it? Unless magic is just science we don't understand yet.
The book, the name, the person in possession, and then the corresponding death would need to be tested before any conclusion could be made other than coincidence. 

Makes we wonder who would volunteer for testing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dealing with racists zebo-the-fat 47 5450 January 15, 2018 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Cod
  My private sticky note page. ignoramus 12 1973 January 2, 2016 at 4:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Personal note DeistPaladin 14 1918 January 20, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  So... I just came home from work to find this note my girlfriend left for me... Mudhammam 22 7556 October 1, 2014 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Dealing with psychopath nutjobs Jackalope 93 24168 June 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Dealing with religious family Savannahw 14 3029 June 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Dealing with boredom Edwardo Piet 20 4305 January 24, 2012 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Letters of Note thesummerqueen 2 898 December 16, 2011 at 10:35 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Dealing with short attention span mamamia88 7 3319 December 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dealing with homophobia on Atheist Forums Existentialist 38 8789 November 19, 2010 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub