Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey?
Hey?
I'm not too big on introductions, but hello forum!

I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join.
RE: Hey?
Welcome!
Hello! No need to lurk! Welcome to AF.

Welcome.
Cunt
Welcome. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself? Just a little. You don't need to divulge your entire life history.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Welcome aboard! Hope you like it here.
Welcome sebastian

Lurking is fine..how else are you going to get the "lay of the land"?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Well I guess I can give at least a little information about myself Wink

If you didn't notice, I'm one of those "can't make up your mind" atheists. Very proud agnostic here!

I'm not what you would call militant in my atheistic beliefs towards religion, but this past month has been a real struggle for me. It wasn't until last year that I fully accepted I will never believe in God/gods, and it feels as if a huge weight has been lifted off. It was a tedious 6 year internal battle to finally be able to let go of all the things I was taught from birth. I didn't realize it would happen, but once I accepted this, my tolerance for any religion has went to an all-time low.

Since the Christmas season has started I've lost a lot of friends. Not close ones, as I only surround myself with people I relate with, but people I've known for years are dropping like flies. This year, in the US at least, seems to be the Christians "Oh my god we're so persecuted!" holiday. I can't hold my tongue, regardless if it's over Facebook or in person. My mother is estranged from me because every-time we speak she wants to ask me why I don't believe etc...

I just need an outlet to show my distaste for it all. I thought this would be a better outlet than fighting with people 24/7 who are so ignorant in their own beliefs they don't even know why they believe what it is they do.

There's more to me than that, but that's why I've joined here!
Welcome Sebastiencade! I'm agnostic too, just made up my mind that I can't know.

Smile
(December 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm)Sebastiencade Wrote: Well I guess I can give at least a little information about myself Wink

If you didn't notice, I'm one of those "can't make up your mind" atheists. Very proud agnostic here!

Nothing wrong with that mate

(December 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm)Sebastiencade Wrote: I'm not what you would call militant in my atheistic beliefs towards religion, but this past month has been a real struggle for me. It wasn't until last year that I fully accepted I will never believe in God/gods, and it feels as if a huge weight has been lifted off. It was a tedious 6 year internal battle to finally be able to let go of all the things I was taught from birth. I didn't realize it would happen, but once I accepted this, my tolerance for any religion has went to an all-time low.

Generally does mate...once you figure out that people are power-hungry mongrels (generally speaking) religion starts to look very weak as a mode and standard of living

(December 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm)Sebastiencade Wrote: Since the Christmas season has started I've lost a lot of friends. Not close ones, as I only surround myself with people I relate with, but people I've known for years are dropping like flies.

Wouldn't matter what it was you changed about yourself .... friends only stay for a short time.

(December 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm)Sebastiencade Wrote: This year, in the US at least, seems to be the Christians "Oh my god we're so persecuted!" holiday. I can't hold my tongue, regardless if it's over Facebook or in person. My mother is estranged from me because every-time we speak she wants to ask me why I don't believe etc...

Tough one there...give her time and you two will be talking again.

(December 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm)Sebastiencade Wrote: I just need an outlet to show my distaste for it all. I thought this would be a better outlet than fighting with people 24/7 who are so ignorant in their own beliefs they don't even know why they believe what it is they do.

Again welcome ...feel free
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3034 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey :) Kate12345 10 1805 October 19, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Hey everyone Ryn 3 605 July 4, 2022 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hey up, you lot. RozzerusUnrelentus 21 2284 January 4, 2021 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hey Bulxy88 13 2016 July 2, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Bulxy88