Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Neil Shubin: Great Transitions in Evolution
Neil Shubin: Great Transitions in Evolution
[youtube]JZxRHbX1dm4[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZxRHbX1dm4

Much thanks to the University of California for releasing this video, along with many others featured on uctelevision channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/uctelevision

Distributed under the following Creative Commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

Neil Shubin, Associate Dean of the Biological Sciences Division at the University of Chicago describes how his diverse fossil findings allow him to devise hypotheses on how anatomical transformations occurred by way of genetic and morphogenetic processes. Series: UC Berkeley Graduate Council Lectures [5/2009] [Science] [Show ID: 16420]
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Neil Shubin: Great Transitions in Evolution
I was expecting something outstanding. I sat down with my pen and paper ready to write. This information is just an addition to the current understanding. It is nothing new, it is just a re-affirmation.

Our brains have many different parts associated with the evolution of the species from other animals. For instance, there is now evidence that these hippocampal-like (hippocampus) structures in mammals are also involved in spatial cognition in birds, reptiles, and fish. As we have ourselves evolved through many different animals, it only makes sense that the physical links are in the fossils somewhere.

As we are all the same and have evolved from the same thing, I fail to see how the money spent on these projects can be justified. Even if they find every species that ever was, there are always going to be those who disagree.

I was expecting much more.
Let me get this straight: You think the discovery of Tiktaalik, one of the most definitive transitional species between fish and theropods, is not worth it?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Does the journey really matter. We started as a single celled organism and we are now complex beings. We are here, we do exist. For me, that is enough evidence. Also, the many fossils found already are overwhelming proof of evolution.

Will finding every missing link accomplish anything constructive? The money could be spent on other overwhelming problems.
Ah, so if the evidence is sufficient for you, it should be sufficient for everyone?

Quote:Will finding every missing link accomplish anything constructive?

I wish we were able to find more transitional species, that would for a start stop people like you from talking about a missing link. As it stands our fossil records are extensive but far from complete. Substantiating the transitions makes to picture more complete, which is of more importance than you give credit for. Specially Tiktaalik was of importance, why? Because Shubin had correctly anticipated where to look, how far down to look, and what the species should resemble before actually finding it. That is very strong evidence in favour of Evolution through Natural selection than even Archaeopteryx.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
So what he found wasn't a missing link?

What are people like me?
(May 2, 2009 at 12:54 pm)g-mark Wrote: So what he found wasn't a missing link?

No it is a transitional species. Missing links are what creationists refer to as the species from species A to C, but Evolution doesn work that way. Like the Crockoduck.

Quote:What are people like me?

Ignorant on terminology.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
Ok. I will now use the term 'transitional species'. Problem solved.
(May 2, 2009 at 12:42 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I wish we were able to find more transitional species, that would for a start stop people like you from talking about a missing link.

Nah, it won't ... even if you find "the species in between" some moron will always be looking at the two new gaps and demanding they are explained.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
The Angry Atheist strikes again. Ka pow. LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A great movie that you have (probably) not seen! Jehanne 11 2056 October 19, 2017 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Great News for Mysties Minimalist 1 849 April 17, 2017 at 4:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  DUST - great scifi shorts Aoi Magi 3 544 March 5, 2017 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Watched a great show & NDE Foxaèr 2 594 January 28, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Great video series. Jehanne 0 624 February 5, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  B.O.B thinks Earth is Flat, Neil Degrasse Tyson chimes in Heat 20 2754 January 28, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Great Darwinian Poster lambsalmon 0 684 June 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: lambsalmon
  Breaking Bad: How great was it? Belac Enrobso 31 6113 January 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: Belac Enrobso
  ISM's are bad Neil deGrasse Tyson Pretzel Logic 7 2718 October 29, 2013 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Owlix
  Thread of great videos CleanShavenJesus 10 2488 August 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone