Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veganism?
Veganism?
Peace. I am guessing that plant base food doesn't feel pain when eaten. I suppose plants don't have a nervous system to process pain. Wouldn't it be like cuting your nails or hair when we do it to fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. Plants don't have brains also to process pain.

I would say that it would mean that we are more compassionate if we where vegan for the reasons I mentioned. Yet sometimes I wonder if there is truth to the bible and the Quran that obviously says you can eat meat.

What does everyone else think. Do you find monotheism to be true? Or do you believe veganism is a more compassionate approach to feeding ourselves?

Or do you disbelieve all revealed religion but still believe that eating animals and their products is ok?

Thanks
RE: Veganism?
WTF does one have to do with the other?
Short answer is no Pel, we would not be more compassionate if we were vegan. We do not find monotheism to be true...this is an atheist forum.

You have evolved to be an omnivore and you should ONLY consider veganism for medical reasons or you were born and raised on it. To switch from an omnivorous diet to vegan diet in a short period of time is dangerous to one's health.

Personally I like to think that plants suffer when they are ripped from the ground, chopped up, boiled and stewed alive ...quite barbaric really. My point being is that one has to eat and to limit ones food source is to put one in danger of extinction like the Panda or Koala
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

--A. Whitney Brown
Well, the way I see it Kich is that the only way to have some sort of moral justification is to say that God says its ok. Otherwise I don't see how can you say its ok once your attention has been turned to it.

Now if you are not a monotheist than where do you get your moral justification from to eat animals and their products. I personally can't justify it to my self. It's only when I was a monotheist that I thought its ok because God says its ok. You know what I mean.

Especially if you believe that this life is all there is then isn't it unfear to eat beings that are more aware of life than plants.

Shouldn't we be about minimising pain and suffering. Respecting life, especially life more evolved?

Yours in compassion

Ervin
You are under an erroneous assumption Ervin that I am a mindless fool like yourself and I am in need of "daddy's permission" to do anything (I draw the line at illegal). I am a woman grown and while I strive to chose with care and compassion, IF you come between me and a meal you will be the appetiser. I assure you that the kill will be quick and painless...unlike some practices. I fail to see how being vegan and allowing animals to die in excruciating pain is compassionate. What makes you think you are "aware of life"?

The bottom line is that the universe does not care how compassionate you are nothing really does. It is childishness to get all soppy over eating meat if that is what your preference is. Do as you will. Don't give me that holier than thou shit about not hurting the fluffy bunnies or telling my young children that it is wrong to drink cows milk to make their bones strong or that protein is bad. And if you are going to kill then kill, as quickly and as painlessly as possible. I'll have none of this "Respect for life" hippy dippy nonsense...I am part of life not above it or separate from it..I know full well that I am lunch to one organism or another. Right now I am putting a big 'S' in-front of that word ..elfish. And listening to a body that is omnivorous.

You really haven't studied "life" in situ have you?? All book learning and getting your meat and vegies from wal-mart??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Veganism?
Justification???

Bacon

That is all
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Just because plants don't respond to pain the way we do doesn't meant they don't respond in a way that's different from hair and nails.

Prick the stem of a plant or a leave and cells will rush to repair it. I don't know if they feel pain the way we would define it, as they obviously don't have an animal brain, but they certainly respond to damages.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
As long as animals aren't tortured in life or cruelly killed, I have no problem chomping on their yummy meat.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come he made them out of meat?"

Sarah Palin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]