Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essence of one's Self:
Essence of one's Self:
What is the essence of your true belief?

What do you believe in?

What is the meaning of life?
RE: Essence of one's Self:
Good question, what do you believe in G-Mark?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
What do you mean true belief?

I think it difficult to define ones entirety in text especially when it comes to beliefs, most people hold so many opinions or derivations of beliefs it's really quite complicated.

I know it sounds cliched, but I belive that life is a fantastic occurence, the fact that I am here typing this proves as much. I believe that to live life to it's fullest you have to question and explore everything around you and not be weighed down by old traditions. It's all about making your own path through life in my opinion.

Ohh ... and the Meaning of Life?

It's 42 Devil

lol

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
I believe in lots of things, is there anything specific you want to talk about? I believe science is the only way to truly know things, but I believe there are truths in reality that cannot possibly be known. The meaning of life is whatever you make of it.
True. I also believe there are truths in reality that cannot be known.

Can there be more than one true meaning?
For us? I suspect there is none, we create our own goals and meanings. For genes (or memes), survival.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Survival is a genetic truth.
The first 2 questions in the OP - I find way too vague to be able to answer...

The 3rd question I will simply say: I do not believe there is ANY, ULTIMATE meaning to life. I know of no evidence that there is.

To each his own.
What personally gives MY life meaning is, well, lots of things. I like life because it's an ongoing process, an experience to live through and enjoy.

I like learning about things, being curious and asking questions. I like to be serious but I also like a good laugh and I like having fun Big Grin
I care about people. I care about all living things. And I do all I can to contribute to helping oppose, and fight back in some way against the shit in the world.

I like expressing myself and 'doing my own bit'.

I like having a good time, at least attempting (and trying to do my best) to help OTHERS to have a good time. And I try my best to avoid a bad time and help others avoid it (IF, they want my help - and if I CAN help).

Etc, etc.

OH - and I care an awful lot about the truth, and honesty.

EvF
Leo-Rcc Wrote:Good question, what do you believe in G-Mark?

I believe in:

Quote:Questions.

Quote:Life.

Quote:Survival.

Quote:truths in reality that cannot possibly be known.

Quote:truth and honesty.
And what does that mean?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2761 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  self illusion joe90 18 3189 April 8, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is atheism self-contradictory ? Parsim0ny 259 84509 July 3, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  material self-dismantle truth_seeker 10 2400 March 14, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2358 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3401 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Self-evident truth is a thing Avodaiah 34 11736 May 24, 2014 at 8:29 am
Last Post: archangle
  One final attempt to get one over on you. Whateverist 25 6181 March 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Self-Defeating Minimalist 14 4348 November 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist. Arbitraryusername 16 4587 November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist