Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I classify my house as a church as to avoid paying property taxes?
Question 
How do I classify my house as a church as to avoid paying property taxes?
I've always wanted to live in a house tax-free, so how would I go about doing this?
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
RE: How do I classify my house as a church as to avoid paying property taxes?
Not like these morons tried it.....20 years ago.

Quote:3 Indicted in a Scheme for 'Friars' to Evade Taxes
By ARNOLD H. LUBASCH
Published: May 02, 1990

The Church and Order of St. Matthew called its members friars who took a vow of poverty, but a Federal grand jury said yesterday that they were tax cheats.

In an indictment filed in Brooklyn, the grand jury charged three officials of the organization with inducting hundreds of members, including New York City sanitation and transit workers, into a ''religious order'' to evade taxes on millions of dollars of income.

The indictment said the members were called ''friars'' who took a ''vow of poverty'' and did not pay income taxes even though they continued to receive salaries from secular jobs.

It said the friars gave their payroll checks to officials of the order, the officials deposited the checks into bank accounts and then gave the money back to them in cash ''less a fee of approximately $20'' a week from each friar.

Over $1 Million in Fees

More than $1 million in fees was obtained by the defendants over five years, said Andrew J. Maloney, the United States Attorney in Brooklyn, who announced the indictment.

The defendants were identified as John Brennan, 58 years old, of Uniondale, L.I., who was called the vicar provincial of the order; Claude Sommerlatte, 42, of Lindenhurst, L.I., the financial director, and Anthony Rousseau, 58, of Manhattan, the secretary. If convicted, each could face up to five years in prison for conspiracy and up to three years on each of many tax-fraud counts, as well as fines.

Larry Schilling, a lawyer working with Ramsey Clark in representing Mr. Brennan, said yesterday that the defendants had acted ''openly in good faith'' and that the case should be treated as ''a civil tax dispute.''

The indictment focused on the Church and Order of St. Matthew in Elmont, L.I., identified as an outgrowth of the Life Science Church, which was involved in a similar tax-fraud case years ago. The indictment said tax refunds that members got were also deposited into the group's accounts and then paid back to the members in cash.

The prosecutor handling the case, Dave S. Hattem, said the Internal Revenue Service later obtained the back taxes, with interest and penalties, from most of the members.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/02/nyregi...taxes.html
That's not really the same thing. I'm just talking about property taxes here.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/Issu...orship.htm

Quote:WHAT IS A “CHURCH”?
IRC section 501© describes several organizations that qualify for tax-exempt status, including churches, but does not provide a precise definition of a “church.” However, IRS Publication 1828, Tax Guide for Churches and Religious Organizations, l ists 14 criteria the IRS considers important in deciding whether an organization qualifies. They are

A distinct legal existence.
A recognized creed and form of worship.
A definite and distinct ecclesiastical government.
A formal code of doctrine and discipline.
A distinct religious history.
A membership not associated with any other church or denomination.
An organization of ordained ministers.
Ordained ministers selected after completing prescribed studies.
A literature of its own.
Established places of worship.
Regular congregations.
Regular worship services.
Schools for the religious instruction of the young.
Schools for the preparation of ministers.

Not all of the criteria are required however expect to pay a lawyer more than you will save in order to get your house approved....if then. Without the 501c3 designation you'll have no chance with the local county/municipality.
"A recognized creed and form of worship"

Really? Wow, this sounds unconstitutional already. It's unbelievable how much privilege religions have. And they talk about being persecuted. More evidence to use against them, at least.

(February 14, 2012 at 2:44 am)AthiestAtheist Wrote: "A recognized creed and form of worship"

Really? Wow, this sounds unconstitutional already. It's unbelievable how much privilege religions have. And they talk about being persecuted. More evidence to use against them, at least.

It's not to protect anything but to try and stop scammers like you are thinking of being.
Correction. It's meant to protect scammers, like he is thinking of being. You need a recognized form of worship, a 501 would help. As would buying some sort of "ministry" certification from a mill. There are also secular alternatives. None of this would stand up in court, of course. May as well just put the word "baptist" over your front porch.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I've often said that if atheism is a religion, then my house is a church and so should have tax-exempt status.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
It is meant to help successful scammers ( xtians, jews, muslims) and prevent them from facing new competition.
Protecting their little slice of the moron market. It's just good business.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Voudu a Christian Religion, or How to Classify Religions tantric 12 4983 January 12, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: tantric
  Can we classify religions as myths? Dystopia 7 2240 July 15, 2014 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  37yo priest under house arrest for abusing minors pocaracas 3 1392 December 9, 2012 at 11:05 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Boy flees Mexico to avoid chemo due in part to religious beliefs. lrh9 38 14792 July 9, 2009 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Anto Kennedy