Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Days, the Urge To Move Is Stronger Than Others
Some Days, the Urge To Move Is Stronger Than Others
http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusive...ggets.html

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Some Days, the Urge To Move Is Stronger Than Others
This sort of nonsense happens here as well :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I can't have kids. I will murder some idiot school staffer. I just know it.
I will have kids. I will murder some idiot school staffer. I just know it.

Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:The girl’s grandmother, who sometimes helps pack her lunch, told Carolina Journal that she is a petite, picky 4-year-old who eats white whole wheat bread and is not big on vegetables.

Playing devils advocate here, but what if, just bear with me for a second, Grandma is a pushover and gives her kid what she wants to eat?

The South and Midwest has a problem with obesity, bad enough that those regions also feature the heaviest children. Apparently it is bad enough that inspectors are needed for school lunches.

This entire article is shit and humdrummery about nothing.

Some random grandma packs her precious gem's lunch and runs afoul of clearly established guidelines. And then, instead of throwing in a carrot or an extra fruit, knowing full well it probably will be tossed, she chooses to throw a mess over 1.25$.

Really. Dodgy
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
The lunch sounded healthy enough to me - meanwhile, a child going only on 3 chicken nuggets all day because the inspector didn't like what was in the lunchbox - that doesn't.

If a parent clearly understands what their child likes and doesn't, they can usually build balanced meals around that. Sounds like the mum knew what she was doing.
(February 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: The lunch sounded healthy enough to me - meanwhile, a child going only on 3 chicken nuggets all day because the inspector didn't like what was in the lunchbox - that doesn't.

To make the statement that "because the inspector didn't like" would entail knowledge that the inspector didn't pass it based on unprofessional judgement.

I don't see that.

What I do see is the usual outrage people decide to get their two minutes hate over "BECAUSS OF DA EBIL GUMMINT!11!"

(February 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: If a parent clearly understands what their child likes and doesn't, they can usually build balanced meals around that. Sounds like the mum knew what she was doing.

And "Mother knows best" has served the south so well in dealing with childhood obesity.

Probability alone, this is more likely a slanted story constructed to provoke outrage.

Oh, and about the three nuggets thing?

Anyone who's wailing about "three nuggets" needs to get their head out of their ass and note that the child is not precluded medically from eating food.

She just won't.

That's not a case of government haywire. It's a case of a spoiled brat and a grandmother who more likely enables her.

Quote:“What got me so mad is, number one, don’t tell my kid I’m not packing her lunch box properly,” the girl’s mother told CJ. “I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats. It always consists of a fruit. It never consists of a vegetable. She eats vegetables at home because I have to watch her because she doesn’t really care for vegetables.

The guidelines call for either two servings fruit, two servings vegetable or a combination of each. Derp derp derp.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Quote:“Sites must provide breakfast and/or snacks and lunch meeting USDA requirements during the regular school day.

So, the USDA issues "guidelines" ( from earlier in the story ) and these bozos turn them into laws?

And the lunch met the requirements anyway. How much you want to bet that someone is getting a kickback somewhere?
It's all Jamie Oliver's fault.
Moros. You're missing the part about the lunch meeting the damn guidelines. In fact, I think somewhere in the article I posted, someone at the school even said so. No one was making it into a government conspiracy. No one was discussing obesity in the south. The girl was described as picky eater, and petite. Obviously the mother tries to make sure she eats at least somewhat healthy by monitoring her food intake. The point is that someone took a perfectly healthy lunch, told the girl it wasn't, told her to eat the school lunch of chicken nuggets (I'm sure you remember what your school's were like) and then charged the mother for a school lunch when the mother (or grandmother) had already made something that was perfectly acceptable.

I have to admit, the first thing I thought was right along with Min - that the particular worker was trying to encourage some people to buy lunches. Otherwise, why commit such a derpish act?

But as my friend Josh also brought up - and not that I agree with this - what happens when the kid grows up in a vegan/vegetarian household? Or kosher - where milk and meat would not be allowed to mix in the same lunchbox, and therefore might not always be included? You can complain all you want about obesity in the south, but I actually live in North Carolina - there are a lot of skinny kids around here. Some the parents can't afford the feed properly. The problem isn't as simple as blaming parents for not giving the kid a banana. Obesity might also have to do with number of hours of TV watched instead of physical activity.

This isn't about a red state complaining about government intervention so much as someone complaining about utter stupidity of a school employee's lack of critical thinking skills.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 801 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  8 days to Deermageddon onlinebiker 44 2608 December 12, 2021 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  2375 Days and Counting onlinebiker 10 985 September 20, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What are you missing these days? Gawdzilla Sama 18 1457 April 28, 2020 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  30 Days to Deermageddon onlinebiker 61 4026 December 31, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  80 days to go. onlinebiker 77 10981 September 2, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Nineteen days left Foxaèr 50 3552 April 30, 2019 at 11:27 am
Last Post: madog
  Move over Movember. JanuHairy is here! ignoramus 2 410 January 22, 2019 at 10:17 am
Last Post: brewer
  13 days to Deermageddon onlinebiker 195 14224 November 29, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Your perception of others Foxaèr 16 905 September 8, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Seraphina