Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"love thy neighbour as thyself" link to "Mercy to all" vs "Justice to some"
"love thy neighbour as thyself" link to "Mercy to all" vs "Justice to some"
In Christianity and Islam, the disbelievers are promised an awful torment. When people want justify the idea of hell, they usually retort to people whom did major crimes against humanity, like Hitler, Stalin, and Sadam. If you think of these people, the natural feeling of humanity is to want justice to be implemented. The idea of hell has been around for a long time, so people anger at them is maximized at them deserving huge torment. Now I don't have too much of a problem with hell for super evil people, but the problem is that in Islam and Christianity, hell is extended to some people whom I would consider good people. They also include people whom Worship God and believe in his Oneness.

Now it's hard to argue that some people deserve a harsh punishment for the crimes they did and the evil way they lived, but should there be a limit on compassion and mercy?

When it comes to "love" - the love of "self" comes highest for most people, then immediate familiy, then extended family, then either nation or religion/sect, but both of those come pretty close.

In the Bible, there is a line "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

This is a teaching easy to praise, hard to do. But it something Christians feel proud of, and it is because of how beautiful that teaching seems.

It seems it is the right thing to do to try as much as possible to love a people as much as you love yourself.

I think this is virtually impossible to do, but perhaps what is meant, is in the same way, not the same level, that you love yourself, you should love others.

It's hard not to have more love for your family then others, it's perhaps impossible. Even loving the same way is perhaps impossible. But we should want the love to be as close as possible.

Now when people do something wrong, everyone wants to be forgiven by God. No one wants God to punish them. Everyone doesn't want to be tortured.

Say if you commited a huge crime against humanity, like genocide, and then you feel you have done a great wrong, would you then be so angry at yourself that you want yourself to get tortured in the next life in most agonizing way possible? Would you want justice on yourself? No, you would seek forgiveness.

Now suppose you didn't recognize the wrong you did in this life, or didn't care too much about it, and you die, would you want God to torture you?

The point of these question, it shows, that the love of yourself, is such that it doesn't seek divine justice against yourself, it seeks mercy no matter what the circumstances. Every soul would rather welcome compassion of God rather then his vengeance.

If we love ourselves that way, and we should love others like we love ourselves, in the closest possible way, then really we should not want people to be punished in the next world just as we wouldn't want it for ourselves, if we commited no matter what crime. When it comes in this world, ofcourse, crimes need deterance, and there needs to be punishments that deter those crimes. And you can't have everyone getting away with crimes.

God's love should even be greater then self-love. He should love us in a better way then we love of ourselves. His love is suppose to the most highest form of love. Therefore it stands to reason that his love will compel him to have mercy and compassion, instead of seeking to retribute some people with justice.

My natural feelings towards evil people is that of vengeance and wanting retribution, and that of hate. However, I find compassion and mercy and forgiveness and forbearance to be more beautiful.

I think compassion, mercy, forgiveness, and forbearance would not be as noble, if it weren't for the natural feelings of vengeance.

However, what I feel proves it logically, is that the principle, that we should want for others what we want for ourselves, and should want for ourselves what we want for others, and the love, compassion, and mercy, and forbearance we want of God for ourselves should be what we want for others.

If we apply this to the disbeliever situation, you should ask yourself, if you are in the wrong religion, do you want to be punished for it? Or if you didn't believe in the right religion, do you want to be punished for it? Ofcourse you don't.

If you love others as you love yourself, then you wouldn't want them to be punished either.

Therefore - I feel - with the princple that we should try as much as possible to love others like we love ourselves - and that our love is a lower manifestation of the highest love - God - then hell doesn't stand to reason.

RE: "love thy neighbour as thyself" link to "Mercy to all" vs "Justice to some"
(February 25, 2012 at 5:57 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Now I don't have too much of a problem with hell for super evil people
If you're a humanist you should. Any way you slice it, infinite torture for finite crime is abominable.

Quote:In the Bible, there is a line "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
Terrible advice from goat-herders. Some people have low self-esteem and others occupied with self-hatred and self-destructive tendencies. It all goes to show life isn't as black and white as some people assume.

Quote:Now when people do something wrong, everyone wants to be forgiven by God. No one wants God to punish them. Everyone doesn't want to be tortured.
When you say everyone do you mean every Christian or every Muslim? A little clarity please.

Quote:God's love should even be greater then self-love. He should love us in a better way then we love of ourselves. His love is suppose to the most highest form of love. Therefore it stands to reason that his love will compel him to have mercy and compassion, instead of seeking to retribute some people with justice.
So this God created the universe and dragged conscious mortal life-forms doomed to die into existence in the ultimate act of selfishness? I wouldn't call that the "highest form of love". That kind of God, if it exists, I want nothing to do with. It deserves no pleasure or happiness.

Quote:My natural feelings towards evil people is that of vengeance and wanting retribution, and that of hate. However, I find compassion and mercy and forgiveness and forbearance to be more beautiful.
I'd give murderers the death-penalty regardless and say good riddance. Less of a burden on tax-payer's money that way.

Quote:If we apply this to the disbeliever situation, you should ask yourself, if you are in the wrong religion, do you want to be punished for it?
Atheism is not a religion. The question is unintelligible, please rephrase into something sensible.

Quote:Therefore - I feel - with the princple that we should try as much as possible to love others like we love ourselves - and that our love is a lower manifestation of the highest love - God
The same god that created Cymothoa exigua, Smallpox, Wolbachia, Ebola, Cordyceps fungi, Marburg, Influenza, Sacculina, Measles, Leucochloridium paradoxum, Mumps, Clostridium botulinum, Rabies, Candiru, SARS, Vandellia cirrhosa, Fatal Familial Insomnia, Hepatitis C, Mosquitos, Dracunculus, Yellow fever, Loa loa, Plasmodium vivax, Ampulex compressa, Toxoplasma gondii, and many more?

Fuck him.
You forgot to add human beings to that short list of "created" plagues that befall human beings. As a product of biological process all of these terrible things are morally indifferent (including the evil we do to ourselves as a result)...but the minute one invokes a directed act of creation by a conscious being...well, now it's a whole new ballgame.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And you forgot to filter it through man's inability to reason as soon as religion enters the door.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love of God vs love of a woman Mystic 51 5617 September 26, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3751 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20923 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13029 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  the missing link to God's family JBrentonK 166 33631 November 6, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  Guy on twitter sent me this link, HA! Brian37 12 2669 February 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Salon link about bad religious ideas. Brian37 1 981 January 26, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Something all theists should all keep in mind. Creed of Heresy 67 28218 September 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Colbert video link: On the Straight and Narrow Minded Ziploc Surprise 0 1320 July 18, 2012 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  The missing link is an erection! Rokcet Scientist 2 1637 July 7, 2011 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Violet