Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They Won't Even Know Why
They Won't Even Know Why
but jesus freaks - and their muslim brethren, are not going to be happy about this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/scienc...TE&ei=5043

Quote:After 40 years, more evidence is being reported Wednesday that the end of the biggest manhunt in the history of physics might finally be in sight.

Physicists from the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill., say they have found a bump in their data that might be the long-sought Higgs boson, a hypothesized particle that is responsible for endowing other elementary particles with mass.

The signal, in data collected over the last several years at Fermilab’s Tevatron accelerator, agrees roughly with results announced last December from two independent experimental groups working at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, outside Geneva.

“Based on the current Tevatron data and results compiled through December 2011 by other experiments, this is the strongest hint of the existence of a Higgs boson,” said the report, which will be presented on Wednesday by Wade Fisher of Michigan State University to a physics conference in La Thuile, Italy.
RE: They Won't Even Know Why
When are they ever happy with science?
It's been a long, busy day and I'm tired, so I read the first line of the quote as "the end of the biggest manhunt in the history of psychics might finally be in sight." I thought maybe Sylvia Browne and a few other so-called "clairvoyants" were trying yet again unsuccessfully to find someone who's been missing for a long time.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Where's Judge Crater? Or Jimmy Hoffa?
Jimmy Hoffa is either has the best seats at Giants Stadium or else is an underwater statue.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Early example of the witness relocation program?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hmm...particles in quantum field theory are well defined ripples in their respective fields but the Higgs is a bump?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2506 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  We are not even a speck! IATIA 14 2479 November 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake