Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antitheism
Antitheism
What exactly is an antitheist against? Theism, or theists?
RE: Antitheism
Theism specifically, and by proxy "sometimes" the opinions, motivations, and actions of theists insomuch as they stem from theism itself.

Essentially, it's the "why don't you try not fucking with yourself for a little bit, eh buddy, maybe then you won't trend towards fucking with the rest of us" stance.

"I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."-Christopher Hitchens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 11, 2012 at 11:01 am)Werewolff Wrote: What exactly is an antitheist against? Theism, or theists?

Theism. People are people and you can dislike them for many reasons.

The belief structure which causes negative irrationality is to blame. Idiots will be idiots, but for their idiocy to be acceptable, you need the theism on a pedestal so that they can be offended for calling them an idiot.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Are we talking about being opposed to all aspects of theism, or certain aspects?
Theism only has one aspect...
Well no, not really, there are lots of aspects.
For me, personally, all of it. Even the happy stuff. It's a tasty looking apple, but it's filled with poison. I just don't know why we continue to take the bait, if we like to think of ourselves as "intelligent" creatures.

(but only one which is strictly handled in the definition Werewolf, I could tell you that the rest are misattribution, if that helps)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 11, 2012 at 11:08 am)Werewolff Wrote: Well no, not really, there are lots of aspects.

No. Theism is the belief in God, just as Atheism is the disbelief / non-belief in God. That is all there is to it.

What you are perhaps talking about are different religious beliefs. Religion =/= Theism.
Antitheism, strictly defined is the simple opposition to the very idea of belief in a god. All these words are just one trick ponies WW.
(March 11, 2012 at 11:12 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(March 11, 2012 at 11:08 am)Werewolff Wrote: Well no, not really, there are lots of aspects.

No. Theism is the belief in God, just as Atheism is the disbelief / non-belief in God. That is all there is to it.

What you are perhaps talking about are different religious beliefs. Religion =/= Theism.

Well often when the word "theism" is used, the person using it usually means religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antitheism Excited Penguin 474 47449 September 23, 2016 at 11:08 am
Last Post: lugal ki en
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12483 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott