Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you call my new beliefs?
What would you call my new beliefs?
In case this gets long, I will put a TL;DR at the end.

I have been on a journey where I left my religion and became an Atheist. I was, and I still am sure that there probably is no god looking down on us. Lately though, I have been doing a lot of thinking about consciousness. I think its so beautiful to think of our consciousness like an iceberg. We are some kind of lonely traveler that just wok up on this iceberg randomly one day. As we are able to explore the tip, we start to learn that there is much more under water. We never knew this because the liquid that this iceberg sits in is opaque.

This is what we call our consciousness. But because we always assumed that are self-awareness was the center of our being, it caused a mystery in us. The tip of an iceberg is the product of the base, not the other way around. To me, consciousness is the right to choose. That is why our brains are amazing prediction machines, because life can choose and life evolved the ability to make better and better choices.

Before life, we could only react. We were inanimate objects like minerals and elements. A chemical cannot make a choice whether or not it reacts, it just does, its like an id without a brain. And by some kind of luck, a mixture of this inanimate matter created life out of nothing. In a biblical sense, life came from dirt. Not saying literally came from dirt but it did spring from inanimate matter.

Then, imagine that you could watch a time-lapsed video of evolution, but in reverse. Starting with us right now and then going back all the way to the big bang. You would see all the planets, stars, and galaxies just returning to their original form all the way back to the space goo that was present right after the big bang. Then there would be the unknown period of time. Before the big bang.

It doesn't not matter if you are religious or not. God or not, me, you, and every piece of matter in the entire universe was sucked into this unknown state. We don't know how this matter exploded onto the scene and created our universe from nothing.

This is where my new beliefs come in. I believe that our "consciousness" is rooted back at that moment. When humans evolved the ability to be aware they started trying to learn more and more why they were here. It is just not emotionally satisfying to imagine that we just came from nothing. So humans did what they always have done, they wrote stories. I believe in a collective conscious, so is why I believe that the stories they wrote probably connected with most of their fellow humans.

I do not believe that Jehovah and Satan in the bible are real in the sense that a christian does, but I do believe that they're real inside of us. Humans wrote narrative to explain all of these feelings that they have but can't explain. Then opportunist humans learned how easily you can manipulate other humans with these beliefs, so they added on. This is why the bible and other holy books have so many visceral lessons that still resonate with us but are also chock full of absolute shit.

This has brought me an emotional contentment that I have never felt before. God was whole, but instead of staying whole, he/she/it exploded itself so that there could be life. I believe that we are all a piece and a whole of that original source. We don't have angels and demons, except the ones in our mind. We are all struggling to do whats right and wrong, but we are still stuck in a primitive brain that only can see the world from our own perspectives.

If we were able to change our perspectives from the self and then look at the whole, like, humans, animals, the earth, the solar system, the milky way, and the universe. We would be capable of so much. We let imaginary forces stop us from good. Take for example clean water. We could fix the drinking water problem worldwide, if we just used a fraction of our resources. But we don't, because humans cannot work together.

Humans first focus on themselves, then their family, then their friends, then their neighbors, then their countrymen, then maybe they'll care about the foreigners. This inside out consciousness is why we have allowed greed to ruin every single good thing that we're capable of. In my view, the bible and other holy books were not written to teach us how there is an outside power that will save us. It was trying to teach us that the power is inside us to save us.

I look at Jesus and know that he was just a man. But I believe that he was a man that had an epiphany, the epiphany was this, "this shit aint right." So he started talking to his fellow men and women about it. I believe that he was an extremely emphatic person that didn't need to only view the world from his perspective. He could help people untangle the messes in their heads, and he could explain things to people that made sense to them. Not because he was teaching them, but he was helping them connect the dots that they knew all along to. This is why I believe that myths started about him. If someone was able to just be empathetic and bring people an emotional contentment that they never had before, no wonder that they assumed he could read hearts and had the power of god.

Jesus was a product of a culture that used a lot of stories and thought deeply. Even if he was illiterate, he still would have the ability to think and reason for himself. I even think that Jesus was prophesying, but not in a theological way. He was just warning us. Like Eisenhower warning America from building a military-industrial complex, guess what, we did. When the bible says that Jesus said you pray for anything and it would be given to you, that could have been a skewed version of what he might have originally said, "you only care about getting whatever you want" I know this is completely theoretical, but Jesus could have been warning of consumerism. Then it was the greedy opportunist that skewed it to fit their purview.

So here the TL;DR I believe that we all were once a part of the same being, or matter. The label doesn't matter, it is just an acknowledgment that we are all truly connected. God and Satan are constructs of our consciousness trying to make sense of why the dots don't connect in our minds. All holy books, gods, and religious beliefs are just attempts to feel an ultimate satisfaction to why we are here. But that is the problem with humanity, we're too focused on ourselves. We need to finally understand that we are here because were here. Just like the garden of eden story, there is the tree of life and the tree of knowledge to know good and bad. We have partaken of the tree of knowledge but have only used the knowledge to further ourselves from an egocentric drive. We need to give up the idea that we need to KNOW and focus just on life. That is the ultimate evolutionary drive, do whatever you can to live. We are in an unprecedented time. We have the ability to solve world problems in an instant but we can't because of our egocentric minds. This is why we're on the cusp of causing ourselves to go extinct. There still is time, but we just need to evolved the next version of consciousness, a mind that is centered in others, and a mind that is centered in love.

I know that last part sounds cheesy, but just ponder over how much we humans are capable of and then think about how much it pisses you off that greediness to consume is the primary reason why we can't attain.
RE: What would you call my new beliefs?
<exhales> 

Yeah, man...it's like, Jesus is actually like...this abstract representation, you know....like...an amalgamation...of like...our collective desires, for like...truth...and fuckin' goodwill...and...and...fuckin'...human coolness
Dude....that's like...totally awesome when you think about it. Fuckin' beautiful.

So...should we order a couple of pizzas? Or something, man...I'm starving!
[Image: brad-pitt-true-romance-o.gif]
You don't find the concept of creatio ex nihilio to be "emotionally satisfying"...
The Universe doesn't give a ****
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
The tl;dr didn't help much, but I think I grock what you mean.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I believe the entire universe was once one whole. The whole exploded into everything we are today after billions of years of cosmological and biological evolution. The fact that we were once a whole is what connects us together in a visceral way. That is why we see so much awe and wonder when we observe the cosmos. And, for me, it explains the collective conscious theory. Is that a better TL;DR?

(February 18, 2017 at 7:38 pm)Stimbo Wrote: The tl;dr didn't help much, but I think I grock what you mean.

Forgive me, but I'm not familiar with what grock means
Grock.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 18, 2017 at 7:57 pm)Won2blv Wrote: I believe the entire universe was once one whole. The whole exploded into everything we are today after billions of years of cosmological and biological evolution. The fact that we were once a whole is what connects us together in a visceral way. That is why we see so much awe and wonder when we observe the cosmos. And, for me, it explains the collective conscious theory. Is that a better TL;DR?

That definitely makes it much easier to read. I don't see why it needs an existing label. Call it whatever you want, I guess. My only question is why you believe that.
(February 18, 2017 at 7:22 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: You don't find the concept of creatio ex nihilio to be "emotionally satisfying"...

Its not just emotionally unsatisfying, its also logically unsatisfying. I am reading Kraus's book right now to try and understand the concept of our universe coming from nothing, but it still just doesn't make sense to me that nothing could ever produce anything. In a cheesy way, I think about how many people define love as a quality that you would die for what you love. So take this with the tiniest grain of salt and know that I'm not saying this one bible verse is true, ergo, the entire bible is true kind of bullshit, bit when the bible says that god is love, that is what makes me believe that the original "whole" died so that we may live. Please go easy on me Big Grin I am not ascribing anything else to it. No labels, no supernatural reasonings, just simply what I believe that has me at a peak of contentment in myself.
OP, nothing wrong with having ideas and thoughts like that.
I'm all for it.

People thinking like you has never been our problem.
It's those "other" ones who like to shoot nukes because of their perceived irreconcilable differences between their beliefs and everyone else's!

Thena, where's my large perreroni already! Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 18, 2017 at 8:07 pm)Won2blv Wrote:
(February 18, 2017 at 7:22 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: You don't find the concept of creatio ex nihilio to be "emotionally satisfying"...

Its not just emotionally unsatisfying, its also logically unsatisfying. I am reading Kraus's book right now to try and understand the concept of our universe coming from nothing, but it still just doesn't make sense to me that nothing could ever produce anything. In a cheesy way, I think about how many people define love as a quality that you would die for what you love. So take this with the tiniest grain of salt and know that I'm not saying this one bible verse is true, ergo, the entire bible is true kind of bullshit, bit when the bible says that god is love, that is what makes me believe that the original "whole" died so that we may live. Please go easy on me Big Grin I am not ascribing anything else to it. No labels, no supernatural reasonings, just simply what I believe that has me at a peak of contentment in myself.
What is illogical about quantum fluctuation exactly?
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2879 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78595 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  For a good time call The Valkyrie 25 2558 November 21, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 987 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4038 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  What new books would you like in the Bible? Fake Messiah 13 2160 February 6, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7409 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2554 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11597 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3315 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus