Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs?
Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs?
Some here at AF have expressed puzzlement at why atheist criticize the Abrahamic religions just because we don’t believe in them. One even likened it to his criticizing Zeus.

As I said in th tat thread, if zeusian evangelists tried to get public schools to teach Mr. Olympus and Hades in science classes or a group of them tried to get a law passed saying only those shot by Cupid could get married, it’s very unlikely they wouldn’t have anything to say about it.

Theists teach their respective doctrines as if they were self evident truths. I’ve never heard one say. “This is just my opinion, but I think my god is probably the only true god, and those who disagree are welcome to express their own opinions.”

Yet, these “truths” don’t stand up to close scrutiny, so the theist would much rather not be subjected to scrutiny. Which makes me wonder why they come to an atheist website looking for fiat credulity and act dismayed when they find it not.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs?
They score Heaven Points™ for testifying before heathens.
A lot of people,

Like to criticize things,

That they deem fucking stupid,

Us atheists,

We,

Criticize people's beliefs,

Because we think,

That they're fucking stupid.

This has been "The Dastardly": a poem by Federico Loveheart except not really just kiddin'.
Generally I don't care what anyone believes. They can believe they're a talking mushroom if it gets their rocks off. It's when they insist the things they believe are real and offer them up for critical evaluation that I get to criticise. Double if they insist that I should think they're real too.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Is it a good enough reason that I find it worrisome if large swaths of the population live in some kind of fantasy world? Why should I not care about that?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Religious beliefs are, in the main, dangerous and inimical to personal and societal freedom. Far too many religious tenets boil down to 'This you must not read, this you must not see, this you must not ask, this you are forbidden to know.' If given its head, the end result of such a mindset is tyranny and oppression.

I find that sufficient reason to criticize.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 20, 2017 at 8:18 am)Alex K Wrote: Is it a good enough reason that I find it worrisome if large swaths of the population live in some kind of fantasy world? Why should I not care about that?

I'm comforted by the fact that most people in the US who say they are religious are lying. They care about TV, beer, and football.
And Poo! hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Religious beliefs can be a sign, if not an actual cause, of impaired critical thinking. It depends on the severity of course; however such impairment can lead to, or at least imply, a lack of critical thinking in other areas, which leaves a person ripe for fleecing by those out to capitalise on the gullible. That's largely how Trump happens.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 20, 2017 at 8:37 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(May 20, 2017 at 8:18 am)Alex K Wrote: Is it a good enough reason that I find it worrisome if large swaths of the population live in some kind of fantasy world? Why should I not care about that?

I'm comforted by the fact that most people in the US who say they are religious are lying. They care about TV, beer, and football.

But they care about them with a religious devotion, so it comes to the same thing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 651 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2903 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5441 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 989 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 19497 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why are the Abraham religions so interested in controlling people sexually NuclearEnergy 42 11140 June 21, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: John V
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9493 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 12044 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3482 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone GoHalos1993 12 2608 May 19, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger