Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often do your beliefs change?
How often do your beliefs change?
I would say my beliefs, or at least some of them, change every few months. For instance, just a few months ago, I thought the afterlife might be a real thing, but now I'm pretty sure it's not. I always have to wonder if my beliefs will keep changing indefinitely, and end up becoming overwhelmingly abstract, or if there's an end to this belief changing that I haven't reached yet.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: How often do your beliefs change?
Whenever its necessary.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Whenever I get new information that better explains something.
Every 30 minutes or so.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I keep a spare pair with a pair of socks, a clean pair of underwear, and change for the bus.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Whenever I get new information
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(January 21, 2022 at 9:56 am)Ahriman Wrote: I would say my beliefs, or at least some of them, change every few months. For instance, just a few months ago, I thought the afterlife might be a real thing, but now I'm pretty sure it's not. I always have to wonder if my beliefs will keep changing indefinitely, and end up becoming overwhelmingly abstract, or if there's an end to this belief changing that I haven't reached yet.

So who indoctrinated you into believing this?
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
My beliefs change stochastically about 25 times each second. However, since my decisions process often occur over a considerable longer period than 1/25 second, what comes through are an average of my beliefs over some number of seconds, which tend to be somewhat less volatile than my beliefs.
My beliefs change whenever enough information contrary to my former beliefs accumulates to convince me otherwise. I used to be a Republican, then I was a Libertarian, now I'm a Democrat. I sued to be a Pentecostal, then I was an agnostic theist, then I was an atheist. I used to think alien abductions, ancient aliens, Bigfoot, ESP, ghosts, and the Loch Ness monster were all real, now I don't. I was all of those things for years before I changed my mind.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I used to be more of a Picard guy, but these days I lean Kirk.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 987 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Is a sea change on the horizon? Angrboda 5 590 July 22, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 225 52341 June 5, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63203 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 11993 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil
  "I refuse to change my mind" Socrates 41 6092 March 2, 2017 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3479 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone GoHalos1993 12 2565 May 19, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If I could change one thing about religion... robvalue 26 6337 January 9, 2016 at 5:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 93 18087 September 10, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Pyrrho