Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arguments Against Miracles
Arguments Against Miracles
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I was spurred into joining to obtain knowledge with regards to debates about various aspects of religion. I was recently at a talk entitled "Are Miracles Believable?" where I assumed there would be a discussion about the veracity of miracles. However, it turned out to be a group of people confirming amongst themselves, using scientific "evidence" that the miracles depicted in the Bible were not only self-evidently true, but also distinct in their proof of god's existence.

I emailed him after the talk to ask him about what his arguments were for his presumption that the miracles depicted in the Bible actually happened, and that if he didn't have certain extra-Biblical or scientific evidence, why he was using scientific evidence (stating that the law of thermodynamics allows for an "open system" universe that god can manipulate without violating the laws of nature) to formulate his assertions. Here is what he sent me, and I was wondering if those who are more eloquent and learned on the subject could provide arguments that I could use in return:

"The thrust of my talk was to suggest that miracles cannot be a priori ruled out as somehow unscientific or violating the laws of nature. What that means is that one cannot dismiss a document as unhistorical simply on the basis of whether it contains accounts of miracles. Rather it would be deemed reliable or unreliable on the basis of other criteria for deeming whether a document is reliable, i.e. how close is it in time to the events it records, how reliable is it concerning things we can check.
Thus, for example, Luke is writing within the lifetime of people who were contemporary with the events he records and would have had access to them. Also, Luke on issues that can be checked, e.g. details of geography, governance, proper titles for officials, has been found to be very reliable. So a principle for evaluating his reports of miracles would be that if he is reliable on details that can be checked he is probably reliable on details that cannot be checked.

There is also the fact that if contemporary accounts of miracle turn out to be reliable, this provides some degree of evidence for thinking old accounts such as those found in the New Testament are reliable.
As regards mythic accounts such as Poseidon, there is no historical detail or setting and certainly no appeal to eye-witness testimony. As regards Mohammed's vision, it is intrinsically harder to make the case, since we have only his report, whereas in the case of a physical miracle, there is the possibility of abundant eye witness testimony."

Thanks in advance for any advice that is given to assist me in furthering this discussion with him.

Nick

RE: Arguments Against Miracles
(March 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm)rationalnick Wrote: Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I was spurred into joining to obtain knowledge with regards to debates about various aspects of religion. I was recently at a talk entitled "Are Miracles Believable?" where I assumed there would be a discussion about the veracity of miracles. However, it turned out to be a group of people confirming amongst themselves, using scientific "evidence" that the miracles depicted in the Bible were not only self-evidently true, but also distinct in their proof of god's existence.

I emailed him after the talk to ask him about what his arguments were for his presumption that the miracles depicted in the Bible actually happened, and that if he didn't have certain extra-Biblical or scientific evidence, why he was using scientific evidence (stating that the law of thermodynamics allows for an "open system" universe that god can manipulate without violating the laws of nature) to formulate his assertions. Here is what he sent me, and I was wondering if those who are more eloquent and learned on the subject could provide arguments that I could use in return:

"The thrust of my talk was to suggest that miracles cannot be a priori ruled out as somehow unscientific or violating the laws of nature. What that means is that one cannot dismiss a document as unhistorical simply on the basis of whether it contains accounts of miracles. Rather it would be deemed reliable or unreliable on the basis of other criteria for deeming whether a document is reliable, i.e. how close is it in time to the events it records, how reliable is it concerning things we can check.
Thus, for example, Luke is writing within the lifetime of people who were contemporary with the events he records and would have had access to them. Also, Luke on issues that can be checked, e.g. details of geography, governance, proper titles for officials, has been found to be very reliable. So a principle for evaluating his reports of miracles would be that if he is reliable on details that can be checked he is probably reliable on details that cannot be checked.

There is also the fact that if contemporary accounts of miracle turn out to be reliable, this provides some degree of evidence for thinking old accounts such as those found in the New Testament are reliable.
As regards mythic accounts such as Poseidon, there is no historical detail or setting and certainly no appeal to eye-witness testimony. As regards Mohammed's vision, it is intrinsically harder to make the case, since we have only his report, whereas in the case of a physical miracle, there is the possibility of abundant eye witness testimony."

Thanks in advance for any advice that is given to assist me in furthering this discussion with him.

Nick

Where was the talk and who was the speaker? And what was the evidence that Luke's gospel was reliable? And more importantly, why did you buy into the bullshit that the bible is reliable?
His name was Robert Larmer, in Fredericton, New Brunswick. He is a professor of philosophy with regards to religion. He didn't mention anything about Luke's gospel in the talk, he just sprung it on me in the email. I didn't say I bought into the bullshit, I was simply asking him what his position was regarding how he came to believing in the reliability of the bible. I think it's important to understand where religious people are getting their convictions from, especially if they are using science to back up claims in the bible without putting the text itself under the same kind of scrutiny.
Any attempts to shoehorn a scientific framework into the biblical miracles are futile at best and ridiculous at worst. On the one hand, people like this speaker and his followers are desperate to 'prove' that miracles are not a violation of matural and scientific principles, yet at the same time they allow their god to violate those very principles any time it's convenient. They want to have it both ways. The really sad part of all this mental masturbation is that it's all done with the aim of making these people feel less self conscious and silly for believing in fairy tale magic.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm)rationalnick Wrote: His name was Robert Larmer, in Fredericton, New Brunswick. He is a professor of philosophy with regards to religion. He didn't mention anything about Luke's gospel in the talk, he just sprung it on me in the email. I didn't say I bought into the bullshit, I was simply asking him what his position was regarding how he came to believing in the reliability of the bible. I think it's important to understand where religious people are getting their convictions from, especially if they are using science to back up claims in the bible without putting the text itself under the same kind of scrutiny.

Doesn't really matter where religious people get their convictions from. If they think they can back their shit with science, they don't understand science. No if ands or buts about it. Anyway, in my experience, religious people tend to believe for no reason other than they want to believe.

edit: Why would you expect a philosophy professor to even understand anything about the scientific veracity of miracles?
(March 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm)rationalnick Wrote: Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I was spurred into joining to obtain knowledge with regards to debates about various aspects of religion. I was recently at a talk entitled "Are Miracles Believable?" where I assumed there would be a discussion about the veracity of miracles. However, it turned out to be a group of people confirming amongst themselves, using scientific "evidence" that the miracles depicted in the Bible were not only self-evidently true, but also distinct in their proof of god's existence.

Nick

The logical fallacy he is commiting here is called bootstrapping. It essentially means using the evidence for one of his claims (lukes supposed historical accuracy) to prove another unrelated claim (that the miracles written are true). None of this actually proves anything. Simply because the person who wrote the gospel wrote a bit of history into it doesn't mean that the events happened. Charle Dickens wrote some historical fact into Oliver Twist doesn't mean that it is a factual account of someones life.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Yes, I find it rather ominous that they seem to think that, because the bible contains historical, geographical, governmental truths sprinkled throughout the text, that it constitues the reliability of the source? Is that not some kind of non sequitur? I mean, it seems to me that any work of fiction could contain facts and even accounts of real people, but that doesn't automatically make it reasonable to say that the rest is true by default.

Also, I agree about their shoehorning of science into their argument. I was extremely put off when he mentioned that the law of the conservation of energy only applied to a "closed system" universe and that since god was outside of that universe, that he could produce miracles without violating the law. I also kind of inserted the idea of Occam's razor and he somehow reinterpreted it in a way that was made to fit with his views. I really don't know how he managed to "logic" his way out of that...
I believe that miracles were common during the biblical time. Well, that's what my Pastor told me. Miracles do still happen, but not so often. Could be men is so sinful now that miracles now only happen to the righteous.
(March 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm)Christian Wrote: I believe that miracles were common during the biblical time. Well, that's what my Pastor told me. Miracles do still happen, but not so often. Could be men is so sinful now that miracles now only happen to the righteous.

So instead of helping the sinful your god then decides fuck em? Sounds like a lovely guy..
(March 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm)Insanity x Wrote: So instead of helping the sinful your god then decides fuck em? Sounds like a lovely guy..

Why not? He fucked Mary and the poor girl didn't even have an orgasm.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 480 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1987 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments Against Thomistic philosophy FireFromHeaven 155 24879 January 28, 2018 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 18559 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Favorite arguments against Christianity? newthoughts 0 688 December 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: newthoughts
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11234 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Scientism & Philosophical Arguments SteveII 91 18485 December 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
Question Why make stupid unsustainable arguments? Aractus 221 40522 December 14, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Joods
  Jesus' imperfect miracles. Brakeman 32 7130 June 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Rainbow Bloody miracles from a bloody cult. Bob Kelso 22 4784 March 26, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: KevinM1