Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ?
How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ?
Hello! 
I am a Christian studying different arguments against Christianity and Christian beliefs. One that I have come across is that science proves that the miracles of the Bible did not happen. I've done a little research into this, but I keep coming back to asking how science proves this. 

I don't understand how science can actually prove that something didn't happen. Yes, science can give alternate explanations of Biblical miracles, or deny that they happened at all. However, how can science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen? 

Looking forward to your feedback! 
Thank you! :)
RE: How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ?
Science doesn't disprove the miracles of the Bible. Or any other holy book for that matter.
But that's not its job. It's the job of the people who say they did happen to prove that they did in fact happen.

If you believe the miracles of the Bible because they haven't been disproved, then you must literally believe the miracles of every holy book.
(November 2, 2016 at 12:34 pm)LostLocke Wrote: Science doesn't disprove the miracles of the Bible. Or any other holy book for that matter.
But that's not its job. It's the job of the people who say they did happen to prove that they did in fact happen.

If you believe the miracles of the Bible because they haven't been disproved, then you must literally believe the miracles of every holy book.

I believe the miracles of the Bible because I believe in the God who performed the miracles, and I believe in the truth of Scripture as an inspired book of God. 

I have heard people who don't believe in the miracles on the basis of science disproving them, and am wondering the basis of this thought.
Like if Joshua commanded the sun to stop moving across the sky for a while ?

And someone points out suddenly stopping the earth's rotation would have snapped off all the delicate stalactites in caves the world over, some of which took tens of thousands of years to form and yet there they are for any one to walk into a cave today and look at ?

Or Noah's world encompassing flood ?

And some turd wipe points out a world encompassing flood is news to the ancient Egyptians ??

That sort of thing ??????????
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 2, 2016 at 12:44 pm)Emzap Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 12:34 pm)LostLocke Wrote: Science doesn't disprove the miracles of the Bible. Or any other holy book for that matter.

I believe the miracles of the Bible because I believe in the God who performed the miracles, and I believe in the truth of Scripture as an inspired book of God. 

I have heard people who don't believe in the miracles on the basis of science disproving them, and am wondering the basis of this thought.

bold mine

Please provide a specific example of science disproving a "miracle".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I mean..it's not really the job of science to 'disprove' something that supposedly happened a thousand years ago or more.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Does science disprove the blue pixies at the bottom of my garden?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Boy, theists are on quite the rip here lately. Something in the water perhaps? Or is this just the pre-Christmas push?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
A miracle is something that does fit with normally observed physics. Until actual proof is given for these discrepancies the default position would be to discount them. It would be like saying two roads down gravity doesn't work, take my word for it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 2, 2016 at 1:27 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Boy, theists are on quite the rip here lately.  Something in the water perhaps?  Or is this just the pre-Christmas push?

Just be thankful there is not a survey.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2283 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1952 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44089 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2143 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19011 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1662 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11719 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1987 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  No Shitball, It Does Not Violate Your Rights Minimalist 10 2197 April 22, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 18560 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer