Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Critical Analysis of Cher Lloyd's "Want U Back"
A Critical Analysis of Cher Lloyd's "Want U Back"
So there is hit new(ish) song by English popstar Cher Lloyd, and it's just plain awful. Here is my attempt at a semi-serious (mostly humourous) critical analysis of the lyrics.

Quote:Hey, boy you never had much game
So I needed to upgrade
So I went and walked away-way-way
Now I seen you been hanging out
With that other girl in town
Looking like a pair of clowns-clowns-clowns

Ms Lloyd starts off the song by complaining that her previous boyfriend didn't have much "game", which doesn't really tell me much about their relationship...maybe he was a bit boring. In any case, Ms Lloyd wants an "upgrade" (because men just love being treated like exchangeable system parts), so she leaves him. Shortly after, she notices her now ex-boyfriend hanging out with "that other girl in town", which leaves us with the impression that this is a very small town indeed...that, or there is an overabundance of Y chromosomes. Ms Lloyd ends the first verse with what I can only assume is an insult (repeated thrice for effect), yet this is undetermined since she doesn't go into any more detail. For all we know, her ex and the only other girl in town have simply joined the circus.

Quote:Chorus:
Remember all the things that you and I did first
And now you're doing them with her
Remember all the things that you and I did first
You got me got me like this
And now you're taking her to every restaurant
And everywhere we went, come on!
And now you're taking her to every restaurant
You got me got me like this

Ms Lloyd seems quite fanatical about how dating works (or at least, how it should work under her assumed tyrannical rule). Apparently, if you take someone out to a restaurant, or some other activity, you must immediately blacklist this location for any future dates you might have with other people. Ms Lloyd seems to have a rather skewed view of how economies function, as in her fantasy world, this poor ex-boyfriend would be unable to eat out ever again (since he is taking this new girl to "every" restaurant).

Quote:Chorus (cont.):
Boy you can say anything you wanna
I don't give a sh, no one else can have you
I want you back, I want you back
Want want you, want you back
I broke it off thinking you'd be crying
Now I feel like sh looking at you flying
I want you back, I want you back
Want want you, want you back

Compromise is the backbone of any relationship, though in this case it is unclear whether Ms Lloyd's ex would actually gain anything from the compromise offered. The fact that Ms Lloyd is prepared to let him say "anything" he wants to is greatly undermined by the fact that she is effectively making him her love slave. She makes it very clear (in 4/8 lines of this entire verse) that she wants her ex back. What is most disturbing though, is her admittance that she broke off their relationship in order to make him cry, and the only reason she seems to want him back is because she is insanely jealous of his newfound happiness.

Quote:Please, this ain't even jealousy
She ain't got a thing on me
Tryna rock them ugly jeans-jeans-jeans
You clearly didn't think this through
If what I've been told is true
You'll be crawling back like boo-hoo-hoo

Oh, pull the other one. This is undeniably and without a doubt, 100% jealousy. As for this new girl not having a thing on Ms Lloyd; how about not being a complete bitch and dumping someone because you were bored / wanted to make them cry? Also, when did choice of clothing come into this? You are just clutching at straws now. If your ex does come crawling back to you, he is a complete moron, which is actually quite good because you'd probably make a perfect couple (until you decide to dump his boring ass again).

Quote:(repeat chorus)

Oooh, oooh, I thought you'd still be mine
When I kissed you goodbye uh-oh uh-oh
Oooh, oooh, and you might be with her
But I still had you first uh-oh uh-oh

Generally speaking, when you kiss someone goodbye after dumping them, they aren't "yours" anymore. Your failure to understand this basic point about relationships is why you are in this mess in the first place...that and thinking that dumping people to make them cry is a good idea.

Quote:(repeat chorus) wait...already?!? That was a pitiful attempt at a verse.

Does tis sound like a hellicopter
Brrrrrrrrrrrr

No. No it doesn't at all. You are a terrible person.
RE: A Critical Analysis of Cher Lloyd's "Want U Back"
You should do more Tongue
Give me a terrible song and I'll try my best.
(March 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Give me a terrible song and I'll try my best.

This is a pretty awful song.
Yes, that is a pretty annoying song. Probably slightly higher on the annoyance scale than Alesha Dixon's "The Boy Does Nothing". What is it with female artists and complaining about stuff?
Can I suggest another Cher Lloyd song.

The travisty that is Swagger Jagger.

How the fuck did a pop take on 'oh my darling clementine' get in the charts?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I hate her sooooo much.
Cunt
Sorry for the necropost Tib's but this is fucking awesome. I'd love to see you do a review of Rebecca Black - Friday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
I think reviews of that song have been done to death...
Okay what about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things you don't want to hear your pilot say. Brian37 74 2456 March 2, 2021 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Valentine's "Things you don't want to see" Brian37 22 1103 February 15, 2021 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If you want Bden out, Ukraine Brian37 11 1844 December 12, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: A. Secular Human
  Reincarnate with me if you want to live.... Brian37 0 330 May 2, 2019 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How do you want to go? Gawdzilla Sama 27 2863 September 24, 2018 at 5:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Which AF member would you want to babysit your kids? FatAndFaithless 69 7831 December 1, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Cod
  I want my girls, to be those girls. The Grand Nudger 9 1214 October 1, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  I want a time machine to go back and kill. Brian37 59 8730 September 25, 2015 at 10:00 am
Last Post: MTL
  Assume alien unicorns want human sacrifice Tea Earl Grey Hot 11 6415 March 26, 2013 at 2:33 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  This makes me want to write purposely bad erotica. Rhizomorph13 14 5104 August 9, 2012 at 12:44 am
Last Post: Darth