Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want my girls, to be those girls.
I want my girls, to be those girls.
When I was young and impressionable....I had occasion to visit a huge on paradise island.  I can't tell you why, I don't remember why (probably drugs)...if I did I wouldn't tell you for fear of liability (probably drugs).  What stuck with me, in that brief encounter, maybe a quarter of an hour in their case and a quarter century ago.....was that this, I reckoned then and now, is what I want my daughters' lives to be like.  This excess.  This opulence.  This -obliviousness-.

Anyone else ever had a moment like that.  Where you see what someone else is up to, not but a few miles from you, and you think to yourself...wtf, how did I not know this was happening.   This should happen everywhere, all the time! A moment where you found yourself entirely out of your socioeconomic depth, and wondering about the possibilities....?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: I want my girls, to be those girls.
Moving to Iran was a system-shock for me. At my age (eight), I had no idea what I wanted for myself, no thought about having children -- but being exposed to such different experiences changed me forever, so I can relate a little to what you're saying. I've had a couple of moments when I thought, WTH is this?

Having your mind torn open, and being young enough to accommodate the change.

Idk...

When I first came to the American south I thought - What the fuck, people in an industrialized country actually really believe this shit?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I was 18 years old before I saw a swimming pool (it was at university). I had never even heard of swimming pools. The culture shock was tremendous: I clearly remember thinking, 'We live on an island, you can't throw a rock without hitting a lake or a pond or a river. And yet someone went to the time and expense to line a pit with cement and fill it with water - to swim in.' The idea of that much wasteful opulence was staggering and quickly led to the further thought, 'I want one.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You had occasion to visit a huge on paradise Island, I don't know what that means.  I don't know what you mean about drugs either.

I'm guessing the bottom line is I have ever seen the way the rich people live up close and in person.

When I used to go cycling I used to go through the worst places in the city, like the English Manchester versions of the ghetto (Moss side, Salford, Rushholme, and the red light district behind picadilly gardens.)

I once got lost, I think I must have ended up in Hale or Bowden because I saw mansions like I'd never seen before that looked like something from a medieval computer game/ Alice in Wonderland.  Some of them were modern looking with huge garages with see through walls in parts. 

I would have tried to knock on their door and ask them for financial advice but I'm sure they'd release the hounds before I got that far.

I've probably seen more expensive public property in London, but none that looked as nice that I can remember.  And these are houses that aren't too far from me that I just stumbled accross.

I'm not from a very nice area anyway so It doesn't take much to be out of my socioeconomic depth.  

Just seeing a nice suburb in a nice overall region makes me wonder what it would have been like to have been born in a nice place.  Obviously I think about if I had been born in a worse place too though.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

My mother grew up the daughter of a small bank CEO and lived in at least a five bedroom house in the suburbs. Not custom, but charmingly old, in an excellent neighborhood in the county. She went to an elite high school (which has since merged with the country day school), and they had a maid. 

Beautiful home. Would be neat to have it my own (except that I'd want it to be on an airpark plot). But I think my mother was a bit embarrassed about certain things in her life. There has been alcohol abuse. As well, they had (as was typical of that type of area in that era) a black maid, who had to live in spartan accommodations. Nothing inhumane, by my guesstimate, but by many accounts, she deserved more for the effort she put into helping make their home.

Yes, having that kind of wealth would be fascinating, as would living in such a pretty neighborhood. 

I think I got another dose of this when I went to see the Nutcracker back in 2011, and started following the company that put it on. So many dancer bios had them as graduates of some elite school like La Jolla Country Day or Bishop's, or living in Scripps Ranch. It would be fascinating being brought up in that environment. 

But then, the grass is always greener on the other side.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG3ExHB133k
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I dated a rich bastard 14 years older than me for a while.

He spent money like it was water. It scared the shit out of me.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
My first hubby's family had money. Our marriage didn't last long, basically he dazzled farm girl me with his family wealth, took me on big trips to exotic places. I got to take a week long cruise in the Caribbean, travel through wine country on a wine tasting tour, sleep in fancy B&B's, spend a week in a nice Hotel in Orlando and visit all the theme parks, and stay in a chalet while snowmobiling for another week. With my very own snowmobile they got just for me.
So yeah, I got to see that life and that kind of opulence, for a few years. It was dazzling. It was fun for a bit, but not worth staying married to a person on a path of self destruction.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
In the '80s I was cooking in this bistro. There was a guy that drove a Jaguar. He would check to see if I was cooking and then order a piece of broccoli ala carte. That is all. Apparently I was the only one that could cook broccoli. Then he would walk back into the kitchen and tip me $20. For a piece of broccoli. I am still trying to see the world through his eyes but I can not.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things you don't want to hear your pilot say. Brian37 74 2491 March 2, 2021 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Valentine's "Things you don't want to see" Brian37 22 1119 February 15, 2021 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If you want Bden out, Ukraine Brian37 11 1861 December 12, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: A. Secular Human
  Reincarnate with me if you want to live.... Brian37 0 335 May 2, 2019 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How do you want to go? Gawdzilla Sama 27 2906 September 24, 2018 at 5:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does Hammy Make White Girls Blush Easily? Edwardo Piet 8 1243 May 5, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Which AF member would you want to babysit your kids? FatAndFaithless 69 7917 December 1, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Hey guys... and girls i suppose Complidudaaldo 13 1230 July 12, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  I want a time machine to go back and kill. Brian37 59 8861 September 25, 2015 at 10:00 am
Last Post: MTL
  Those Goddamn Aliens Keep Probing my Ass! ComradeMeow 27 3120 September 15, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: vorlon13