Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't know what to do!!!
I don't know what to do!!!
I've had this friend since the 7th grade. She's always been a relatively fearful person, but lately it's been getting worse and worse. Ten years ago, when we were 18, her 23 year old sister was killed in a car accident, leaving behind 5 small children. Because of this, my friend has never driven a car... she's nearly 30. She has never had a job or been to college, and has always lived in the projects, where she collects welfare.

About 6 months ago, a really close friend of hers committed suicide. Since then, I've noticed a steady decline in her already fragile sanity.

The other night she called me at 3am, so scared I could barely understand her. Her computer started playing music, full blast and for no obvious reason. She was convinced it was a supernatural force that had made it happen, and wouldn't come out of the broom closet. I tried to convince her that it could've been anything, telling her it could be a computer virus, or the cat- anything. It didn't have to be a ghost. She wouldn't listen.

The next day she went out shopping with her mother. When she got home, she saw that her bedroom dresser had fallen forward. She freaked out again, and of course, she called me. I go down there, and examine the fallen dresser. It was one of those $15 Walmart specials in a box. The top drawer was completely full of all kinds of junk. It was really ridiculous, actually. There was nothing in any of the drawers below it. I asked her if she had left the top drawer open. She couldn't recall. I tried to calm her down by explaining that if she left that full top drawer open, it would have tipped the whole thing over. She wouldn't hear it. Swore it was supernatural.

She said it was either her dead sister or friend that had been causing all of this. So using logic to subdue insanity, I asked her what the big deal was. If it was the ghost of people she loved, why be scared. She couldn't explain, she just continued to rock back and forth in the fetal position and sob. In the meantime, I found and killed the virus that had infected her media player.

Now she won't go back to her house. She is staying at my house, and every noise she hears is the ghosts. I am at my wits end! I don't know what to do. What would you people do? She won't talk to any doctors, and I'm fucking lost. I have no idea how to handle this kind of craziness. If you don't have any suggestions, please just make me laugh or something.

RE: I don't know what to do!!!
Psychiatrist. Seriously. I don't say that to sound like a brush off - I seriously think she needs one.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I think so too, but she won't leave the house at all. I can't involve her family, because when I tried they just made it worse, insisting that they needed to burn sage, do chants, and call priests. It heightened her hysteria, I could tell.

Your house Aleia, if she doesn't play ball on the Doctor reccomentdation, tell her my way or highway.
(March 26, 2012 at 4:40 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I think so too, but she won't leave the house at all. I can't involve her family, because when I tried they just made it worse, insisting that they needed to burn sage, do chants, and call priests. It heightened her hysteria, I could tell.

ROFLOL

Are you sure you don't live in Haiti?
I have one of the doctors I work for coming by in the morning. So if she doesn't talk to him, I should throw her out/take her back home? I know that's logical, I just wish I could make her see that everything is okay.

I can totally believe in ghosts doing something like this though. If I were dead and able to move stuff around, I'd spend all my time doing it. I mean, what else would I have to do?
I'd be in Angelina Jolie's shower.

Waiting for Brad Pitt, Dayaaamm.
I think deep down she believes me, because she begged to come home with me. I was the only one there who didn't believe it was ghosts. It's confusing because normally people in her condition want to be around people who affirm their delusions.

If push comes to shove you could always put her on a 72 hour psychiatirc hold, but that might put a strain on th relationship. Dealing with death can cause us to toss our rationality out the window. The best advice I can give is to have her talk out her feelings with you and for you to try to ease her through the grieving process. It may take time, and something else that might help is keeping her occupied with activities that she enjoys that way she isn't just sitting and thinking.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I've had this friend since the 7th grade. She's always been a relatively fearful person, but lately it's been getting worse and worse. Ten years ago, when we were 18, her 23 year old sister was killed in a car accident, leaving behind 5 small children. Because of this, my friend has never driven a car... she's nearly 30. She has never had a job or been to college, and has always lived in the projects, where she collects welfare.

About 6 months ago, a really close friend of hers committed suicide. Since then, I've noticed a steady decline in her already fragile sanity.

The other night she called me at 3am, so scared I could barely understand her. Her computer started playing music, full blast and for no obvious reason. She was convinced it was a supernatural force that had made it happen, and wouldn't come out of the broom closet. I tried to convince her that it could've been anything, telling her it could be a computer virus, or the cat- anything. It didn't have to be a ghost. She wouldn't listen.

The next day she went out shopping with her mother. When she got home, she saw that her bedroom dresser had fallen forward. She freaked out again, and of course, she called me. I go down there, and examine the fallen dresser. It was one of those $15 Walmart specials in a box. The top drawer was completely full of all kinds of junk. It was really ridiculous, actually. There was nothing in any of the drawers below it. I asked her if she had left the top drawer open. She couldn't recall. I tried to calm her down by explaining that if she left that full top drawer open, it would have tipped the whole thing over. She wouldn't hear it. Swore it was supernatural.

She said it was either her dead sister or friend that had been causing all of this. So using logic to subdue insanity, I asked her what the big deal was. If it was the ghost of people she loved, why be scared. She couldn't explain, she just continued to rock back and forth in the fetal position and sob. In the meantime, I found and killed the virus that had infected her media player.

Now she won't go back to her house. She is staying at my house, and every noise she hears is the ghosts. I am at my wits end! I don't know what to do. What would you people do? She won't talk to any doctors, and I'm fucking lost. I have no idea how to handle this kind of craziness. If you don't have any suggestions, please just make me laugh or something.

It sounds like she would benefit from seeing a therapist, particularly one that specializes in grief counseling.

Someone mentioned having her put on a psychiatric hold for observation in the hospital. In MA it is called a "Section 12" and involves the police. They wouldn't hold her unless there was a serious episode, often involving harm to self or others, with overt psychiatric symptoms.

If she won't accept help then that is her decision but if it is doing damage to your well being then you have every right to limit or even break contact with her until she seeks help. You can't fix her through being a good friend. A person suffering serious grief or trauma needs help from a trained mental health professional.

My two cents, as someone in the field.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3671 201430 4 hours ago
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1098 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  I don't know how they do it. onlinebiker 98 7536 November 1, 2019 at 8:38 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5991 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17521 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3924 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me Phosphorescent Panties 48 5859 April 12, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Tell me something I don't know Longhorn 123 12029 May 25, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  I don't know Exian 22 2296 April 28, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Trevor Noah is a name you don't know. For now. SteelCurtain 26 5128 April 3, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: robvalue