Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bizarro Debating
Bizarro Debating
Atheists, do you ever debate from the theist perspective? I do, and I find it helps me understand their arguments and be more fair minded. I never argue from the creationist world view, but sometimes from the deist POV...even though I don't but most of it.

Is this a good exercise in debating skills? In understanding the other perspective? Or is it dishonest and/or harmful?
Writer for Deity Shmeity
RE: Bizarro Debating
I agree. Debate is hardly ever a definite measure of what view is right or wrong.

However, like the Outsider Test for Faith (applying the same logic you use to refute other religions and seeing if that logic cannot be applied to yours), it is a good test of your opinions, if you take a position that attacks the weak spots, and flaws.

Rather than being fair minded thou, its more useful to find your own weak spots, and strengthen them.

Its only dishonest if you misrepresent the views you are supposed to be arguing for.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
I was a Christian for the first 30 years of my life, so I already know the theist perspective. Basically you have to start from the premise that you are 100% correct in thinking that God exists and everything in the bible is true, and go from there.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Depends on the theists perspective, I'll argue the pagan perspective all day long, claim the board for their gods, concede the monotheists argument and then smugly profess faith in whatever god they don't believe it, or inanimate objects. Good fun.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Its only dishonest if you misrepresent the views you are supposed to be arguing for.

But only animals are honest. We justify; I've done it. Argued as a creationist , 'cause I wuz made by my Gwynnies.
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7053 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Debating a Christian Normal Guy 21 3447 December 15, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Psychology behind debating? Or is it just fun to stir the pot once in a while? cosmowanderer 21 5854 September 21, 2015 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  What pissed you off the most when debating against theism? strawberryBacteria 26 6757 September 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Debating Christians abtaylor 11 2005 May 7, 2014 at 8:50 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  AronRa debating with theists at the Reason Rally 2012 Ziploc Surprise 1 1856 April 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: mediamogul
  Debating religion why being unisulting Gooders1002 28 9811 March 31, 2012 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interested in debating theists via skype (3 debates added!) yuriythebest 31 7811 October 8, 2010 at 3:08 am
Last Post: solja247