Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What pissed you off the most when debating against theism?
What pissed you off the most when debating against theism?
To me, It's whenever they take my rhetorical question seriously as if I'm stupid enough to ask those kinda questions in a non-rhetorical way.
RE: What pissed you off the most when debating against theism?
(September 20, 2015 at 12:22 am)strawberryBacteria Wrote: To me, It's whenever they take my rhetorical question seriously as if I'm stupid enough to ask those kinda questions in a non-rhetorical way.

Yes, I think that's the one that gets me most, "Well if you don't believe in God then why do you keep talking about what God is like?"

Close behind it is when they tell me what atheists believe-- which would be fine, if they were even close to accurate...

...but they never are.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

"well what if" with this simple start you can posit any shit you like, apparently without the need to back it up with anything resembling evidence.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

People being unable or unwilling to understand that simply stating something doesn't make it true.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 20, 2015 at 7:00 am)robvalue Wrote: People being unable or unwilling to understand that simply stating something doesn't make it true.

And that "opinion" is not the same as "fact".

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Also, there seems to be this idea that what is true about religion is dependent on what is believed about it.

"I don't believe Hell is like that."
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
The pigeon shitting all over the board.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Being told I'm a poor deluded soul that just can't understand but they'll pray for me.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I hate that, while they all use the same arguments culled from the same handful of sources, they somehow have never seen the usual objections to their arguments or pretend not to have seen them. Thus, no sooner does one leave (no doubt completely satisfied that he/she has adequately dealt with the atheists' arguments) than another pops up, making precisely the same points. And round and round we go.

It would be nice if they could at least have a source they all go to where they can see, without caricature or straw men, what their opponents are actually saying so we don't have to play this infernal game of Whack A Theist every time someone decides they have a full quiver of apologetic arrows to launch.
Yeah, the thing is they are straw manning themselves. They don't believe because of the dullard arguments they present. So it doesn't matter in the slightest when they get cut down, or what they get cut down by. They are just shields against revealing why they actually believe, which is rarely discussed.

When I have the energy, I want to add refutations to the common theistic arguments to my website so I can just point them out each time they come up on the apologist-go-round.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 3830 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7006 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2037 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35333 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1820 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1845 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 1934 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1454 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative? Captain Hook 324 32743 March 21, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 24908 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule