Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Will vs Divine Won't - How God Favours Evil
Free Will vs Divine Won't - How God Favours Evil
With all the focus on free will of late, this seems an appropriate moment to share this from the incomparable DarkMatter2525.

"If the Abrahamic God is real, then He cares more about the rapist's freedom to rape, and the murderer's freedom to murder, than He cares about the lives of their victims."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BzP1wr234?rel=0
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Free Will vs Divine Won't - How God Favours Evil
Free will? What's that? Smile

Cute movie Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Wouldn't he have to fix all the evil if he fixed one? Isn't this idea heaven, i think where were at is earth.
Also it assumes that omnipresence is proven fact from the bible. I'll set the argument based on bible scripture; something like i can not escape you from the highest points of heaven or lowest depths of earth. I argue that he does not mention the area or dimension God is in before he creates the heavens and the earth.
God's reaction tho Job basically answers this anyways, that's what that whole book was about.
He's God, what do you think he does up there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vyISHK3oM
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
The whole point is that the god character as traditionally presented doesn't fix any evil. Worse, the character, by inaction, allows if not encourages evil to flourish. Of course, as you may have gathered from my tone, I don't consider the god concept anything more than a product of overhyped mythology; your turning to that same mythology to subsantiate your assertions merely strengthens my opinion.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
"Up there", still showing the tendency towards sky fairies..lol.

God who? Up where?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The God who doesn't fix any evil is drawn from said source. I can not rebuttal with knowledge from said source. I must accept what you only discern from said source and accept it. Noted.

Up nowhere obliviously, you don't see him i guess hes not there, oh well.
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
Interesting use of the martyr card there. You can use whatever sources you like for your rebuttal for all the shit I give. To me it's all mythology anyway so knock yourself out. You and your compadres in christ are the ones chasing your collective tails to rationalise why your god does the things it does (or more accurately doesn't).
(March 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm)C Rod Wrote: Wouldn't he have to fix all the evil if he fixed one? Isn't this idea heaven, i think where were at is earth.
Also it assumes that omnipresence is proven fact from the bible. I'll set the argument based on bible scripture; something like i can not escape you from the highest points of heaven or lowest depths of earth. I argue that he does not mention the area or dimension God is in before he creates the heavens and the earth.
God's reaction tho Job basically answers this anyways, that's what that whole book was about.
He's God, what do you think he does up there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vyISHK3oM

Well that begs the question don't you think? If heaven can be sustained as a "purely good" environment in which human souls exist eternally why couldn't the earth have just been the same way? If the earth could be corrupted with sin why couldn't heaven? Why couldn't god have just created heaven and skipped the whole earth nonesense? Special pleading for earth if we say earth can be corrupted and heaven cannot. If god was unable to create an "uncorruptable" environment it just goes to show the limitations of god's powers.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Isn't it all special pleading and begging the question?
Heaven was corrupted, the #1 angel Lucifer with his consciousness and will corrupted and took a third of the angels with him.
Corruption comes with the right of choice.
A good question is if you created a sentient entity does that created being ever have the right to be greater than the one that created it?

Which then begs the question, these angels, incredibly powerful, very wise and intelligent, endowed with free will and full witness to his "glory"....decided that your god was a piece of shit? And then, of course, this leads to the strange situation that now, we frail human beings, not so wise and only moderately intelligent, similarly equipped with freewill and having never witnessed his glory at all seem to be reaching the same conclusion.

Sounds like gods 0 for 2 on this count buddy. "Great" my ass, clearly isn't cut out for his job.

Since when is "great" decided by "right" btw? Do you have no "right" to be "greater" than your parents? I think that they would probably hope that you would be.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 347 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2206 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 37573 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16354 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1527 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2123 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians pray evil away on the winter solstice. brewer 9 991 December 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2292 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why won't God heal amputees? Jehanne 255 24008 June 13, 2020 at 6:40 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Divine Inspiration Foxaèr 172 16419 September 2, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Stoneheart