Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there free will in Heaven?
Is there free will in Heaven?
Can I choose to disobey God once I am in Heaven?

Isn't that the same as sin? Opposition to the will of God.

Is there sin in Heaven?

I don't believe that the idea of Heaven and Hell makes sense. Most notably regarding the problem of choice and identity.

If you no longer have the option to choose things that are wrong, to make mistakes, or to challenge/disobey God, are you even the same person?

RE: Is there free will in Heaven?
(March 25, 2021 at 2:39 pm)Five Wrote: Can I choose to disobey God once I am in Heaven?
We're told that at least one being managed it, and took a third of the population down with him.

Quote:Isn't that the same as sin? Opposition to the will of God.
Yes.  You might even call it the archetypal mold.

Quote:Is there sin in Heaven?
At least once...maybe more, depending on how you count it.  There are alot of angels in the lesser and greater keys, as it were.

Quote:I don't believe that the idea of Heaven and Hell makes sense. Most notably regarding the problem of choice and identity.

If you no longer have the option to choose things that are wrong, to make mistakes, or to challenge/disobey God, are you even the same person?

Well, let's unpack that.  The idea of heaven and hell may make sense even if a person wakes up a different person every day.  On monday, the person they wake up to be may be deserving of hell.  Tuesday, a saint.  It seems like...if you have a choice, when you have a choice......then that choice matters.   

Separate this hypothetical different person into the more familiar set of all other persons, who are different from you.  Does it seem strange or unfair....or unbelievable, even.... that different persons, different than you, who make different choices...may be more or less deserving of heaven or hell (however defined) based on those choices?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 25, 2021 at 3:03 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(March 25, 2021 at 2:39 pm)Five Wrote: Can I choose to disobey God once I am in Heaven?
We're told that at least one being managed it, and took a third of the population down with him.

And yet, many contend that angels have no free will.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Others contend that the myth is internally coherent. Isn't that fun!. Wink

Still...if it's a thing that a person shouts to strangers on a public board - well. It might be worth looking at what we find compelling about the idea...and why this or that myth isn't one of those things.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We haven’t yet determined if there is free will on Earth.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well, as we all know, Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens:

So what would the point of free will even be
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Are there unicorns in my spotchka?

Magic 8 ball responds
tlhilHa'ghach
Drop "Free" in "Free Will" and then it will make sense.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(March 25, 2021 at 3:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: We haven’t yet determined if there is free will on Earth.

Boru

John Calvin simplified things -- God chooses some infants for Heaven, the Elect, other infants, the Reprobate, he consigns to eternal Hell.

Isn't that the same as sin? Opposition to the will of God.

Is there sin in Heaven?

I don't believe that the idea of Heaven and Hell makes sense. Most notably regarding the problem of choice and identity.

No free will in Heaven. 
We all pray for God will be done, as his will is righteous and will free from righteousness is evil.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5382 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5443 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13553 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 18922 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  "heaven" meme on facebook drfuzzy 34 7682 May 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are there animals in heaven? Mermaid 53 8212 November 7, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  My thoughts on heaven dyresand 24 7106 November 3, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Bible way to Heaven sinnerdaniel94 362 51625 October 14, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Heaven is full of tapeworms Brakeman 15 4504 August 13, 2015 at 10:23 am
Last Post: orangebox21
  Will Humans Have Freewill in Heaven? Rhondazvous 230 34331 July 21, 2015 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Metis