Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theory of Everything (unifying faith and reason)
Theory of Everything (unifying faith and reason)
Right now I'm really wondering if reason and faith are two sides to the same coin. I think maybe it's like General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. They seem contradictory, but scientists are searching for a way to unify them. Nobody is really saying that relativity is wrong because of quantum mechanics or vice versa.

Maybe we should do the same about faith and reason. What if there is a theory of everything that unifies them and those who fight for one or the other are both wrong? How can we know?
RE: Theory of Everything (unifying faith and reason)
Quote:What if there is a theory of everything that unifies them and those who fight for one or the other are both wrong?

An invisible theory to go along with the invisible sky-daddy?

Let's see the evidence.
(March 31, 2012 at 10:27 pm)wisdom searcher Wrote: Right now I'm really wondering if reason and faith are two sides to the same coin. I think maybe it's like General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. They seem contradictory, but scientists are searching for a way to unify them. Nobody is really saying that relativity is wrong because of quantum mechanics or vice versa.

Maybe we should do the same about faith and reason. What if there is a theory of everything that unifies them and those who fight for one or the other are both wrong? How can we know?

Faith is nothing like an evidence based science. To even think so is probably a sign of severe mental illness.
faith - belief that is not based on proof / belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion

reasoning - the act or process of drawing conclusions from facts, evidence, etc.

Incompatible literally by definition.
This looks like a good place to stick this….

”Jerry Coyne” Wrote:If there’s anything I’ve learned from teaching evolution, is that resistance to evolution in America comes not from ignorance of the facts supporting the theory, but from entrenched religious belief that makes people closed to the facts. Coddling their religion won’t make them open to facts, but erasing their religion will.

A 2007 Gallup poll reported that 44% of Americans are young Earth creationists. That means that nearly half of all Americans reject science period in favor of a worldview invented by goat herders a couple thousand years ago, and here you are suggesting we search for a middle ground between their beliefs and ours.... Sorry but fuck that.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(March 31, 2012 at 10:57 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: This looks like a good place to stick this….

”Jerry Coyne” Wrote:If there’s anything I’ve learned from teaching evolution, is that resistance to evolution in America comes not from ignorance of the facts supporting the theory, but from entrenched religious belief that makes people closed to the facts. Coddling their religion won’t make them open to facts, but erasing their religion will.

A 2007 Gallup poll reported that 44% of Americans are young Earth creationists. That means that nearly half of all Americans reject science period in favor of a worldview invented by goat herders a couple thousand years ago, and here you are suggesting we search for a middle ground between their beliefs and ours.... Sorry but fuck that.

44%? Wow. I knew my countrymen were (edit-- mostly) morons, but I didn't think that so many of them believed in a young Earth.

But yes, to respond to the original post, if you believe religion to be rational, the part of your brain that deals with rational thinking is almost certainly handicapped. If it's by genetic defect or simple indoctrination, though, is impossible to say.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Reasoning actually "melts" away faith ideas. We can all agree that there are "grains of truth" hidden in mounds of supernaturalist bullshit but they only bear fruit once seperated from it.
Fact is, there are no valid theological claims unless they can be backed up with evidence. Thus, there is no connection between the processes of reason and faith. Nobody has ever demonstrated a single article of faith that can be demonstrated through reason.

I guess your point is more psychological than anything else. A simple corollary would be not the necessity of the interconnectedness of reason and faith. If all you're discovering is personal, subjective perspective and perception, you're not actually finding out anything and quite possibly reinforcing false personal perceptions, thinking that reason and faith are compatible. No Sir, they are not!
Yeah. A lot of Americans are pretty fucking stupid.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

There really is nothing quite as stupid as a YEC.
(April 1, 2012 at 2:17 am)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah. A lot of Americans are pretty fucking stupid.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

There really is nothing quite as stupid as a YEC.

But in the USA we are #1 and don't you forget young man...

[Image: 43017437064609296391710.jpg]
Wheeeee!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 4135 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 11900 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 731 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1425 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 32412 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2661 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Everything & Nothing possibletarian 0 687 January 13, 2020 at 5:42 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 38611 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 25256 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8483 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead