Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution
Evolution
Hi I was wondering if athiests believe in evolution. And Earth is a fairly new world cosmically speaking could it be possible that God/s evolved before Earth? Let me simplify, a god is a being with the power of creation, a master of maipulation of energy and matter. Could it be possible that in the eons of the Chaos the Gods evolved?
Evolution
No, playing too much God of War, Kratos.
RE: Evolution
Gods evolved after people came along to invent them.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(April 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm)Kratos Wrote: Hi I was wondering if athiests believe in evolution. And Earth is a fairly new world cosmically speaking could it be possible that God/s evolved before Earth? Let me simplify, a god is a being with the power of creation, a master of maipulation of energy and matter. Could it be possible that in the eons of the Chaos the Gods evolved?

That would make the god(s) irrelevant seems if they evolved we could evolve anyway. It sounds closer to the aliens did it idea than what you would call a modern god.

As far as possibility of that I see it as very very unlikely for a powerful being that could be considered super human. Almost certainly impossible for the god of any 'modern' religion.
(April 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: No, playing too much God of War, Kratos.

Hmmm Saganist....Carl Sagan said "If God existed who made him?" off the top of my head (probably inacurate) a good scientist Sagan. But science only works by observation and experimentation and conclusion of the facts. 1+1=2 right here right now. But all the laws of physics cannot be said to be eternal everywhere. And with using science you are left with massive blindspots. You are limited to going over incoming data to be sure. Everything is limited to what we know, put simply.
Kratos Wrote:And with using science you are left with massive blindspots

And it would be fallacious thinking to fill those blindspots with god. Science may not have all the answers, but that is not a reason to invoke a deity.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm)Insanity x Wrote:
(April 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm)Kratos Wrote: Hi I was wondering if athiests believe in evolution. And Earth is a fairly new world cosmically speaking could it be possible that God/s evolved before Earth? Let me simplify, a god is a being with the power of creation, a master of maipulation of energy and matter. Could it be possible that in the eons of the Chaos the Gods evolved?

That would make the god(s) irrelevant seems if they evolved we could evolve anyway. It sounds closer to the aliens did it idea than what you would call a modern god.

As far as possibility of that I see it as very very unlikely for a powerful being that could be considered super human. Almost certainly impossible for the god of any 'modern' religion.

Modern religion has it's uses, if you convince the masses God is watching you all the time and you better be good or else Hell fire will be your lot. You need less police. You have self oppression, today Godless people tend to use Marxism, Feminism and Humanism to oppress themselves. Think about it, when the USA was devoutly Christian there was far less crime.
(April 8, 2012 at 7:36 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
Kratos Wrote:And with using science you are left with massive blindspots

And it would be fallacious thinking to fill those blindspots with god. Science may not have all the answers, but that is not a reason to invoke a deity.

I suppose, but if you can see that which is impossible to see then the deity may or may not be the middle man that can give you this ability.
Who knows?
(April 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm)Kratos Wrote: Modern religion has it's uses, if you convince the masses God is watching you all the time and you better be good or else Hell fire will be your lot. You need less police. You have self oppression, today Godless people tend to use Marxism, Feminism and Humanism to oppress themselves. Think about it, when the USA was devoutly Christian there was far less crime.

Religion does not stop crime or immoral behaviour. I don't get how people can even use this as an argument. I do not believe in God or Hell, and am I going around committing crimes? No, I am not. Plus we have a legal system to punish people who commit crimes. So why do we also need to make people afraid of going to Hell? Religion is not useful.
How would Feminism or Humanism oppress people? That's just stupid. The primary goal of both is to allow equal, greater rights. I haven't studied Marxism so I can't comment on that.

Aside from that, in order to evolve, deities would need to be able to reproduce biologically. That alone would remove them from the realm of the supernatural.
(April 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm)Kratos Wrote: Modern religion has it's uses, if you convince the masses God is watching you all the time and you better be good or else Hell fire will be your lot. You need less police.
No.. Thats wrong. If you looked at studies you would find that people with a religion are much more likely to commit crimes than atheists.

Just one of many studies for you: http://www.atheismresource.com/2010/athe...ligious-do
Quote:You have self oppression, today Godless people tend to use Marxism, Feminism and Humanism to oppress themselves. Think about it, when the USA was devoutly Christian there was far less crime.

Oppression - the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner.

Calling humanism oppressive is a great misunderstanding of what it actually is. Same for feminism and Marxism..

Quote:Think about it, when the USA was devoutly Christian there was far less crime.
Can you show me statistics on this? Even so in the modern world the less religion the lower the crime rate.

http://www.nairaland.com/121066/predomin...west-crime
http://www.adherents.com/misc/adh_prison.html
http://atheistempire.com/reference/stats/main.html