Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signing Off
Signing Off
It’s already over-dramatic that I’m even writing this, so I’ll try to keep it short and sweet.

I’m stepping down from the staff and taking a break from AF for an unspecified length of time. Recent events of course acted as a catalyst, but this has been a long time in arriving.

It’s with a bit of irony that I note that I admonished everyone to not care what people on the internet say, but that’s precisely the reason why I no longer enjoy the forum as I once did. I do care, to an extent. I care that a collection of personalities I used to look forward to interacting with every day no longer seem to take joy out of what this community is – a hodge-podge of different backgrounds and opinions – and instead chiefly find amusement in picking maliciously at anyone who doesn’t fall somewhere within the bounds of their own path. This was a place to exchange and hash out ideas, not immediately belittle new or different ones and their bearers. I’m sure it could be that place again, but at the present, despite pleas from staff and non-staff alike, louder voices overwhelm the more polite and earnest and continually turn AF into a pissing match. In the interest of my own sanity, which gets unduly upset at the sheer retardation of many of the disputes, I’m moving on to other climes. My “real” life’s pretty much in turmoil at the moment anyway.

I’ve left a few opinions of who I think would make a good mod, and wish them luck and hope they have a better time of sorting out BS on teh ‘nets without becoming overly frustrated by it.

Being as “my season” is fast approaching, I’ll be fairly busy, but I love conversation and would be overjoyed to hear from anyone on my [email protected]. Most of you are a true pleasure to have made acquaintance with and I will sincerely miss you and be saddened that I couldn’t make it a deeper one before leaving. If the feeling was mutual, please don’t hesitate to make contact with me.

Take care of each other.

Much love,

Rachel
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Signing Off
You'll be missed, TSQ. I'm at a loss for anything else to say. Sad
Sad nowUndecided
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Summer,

Thank you for your service. I'm shocked to see this, but I felt this was incoming anyways. I'm sorry that as your teammate, I was unable to run better interference. I know your life takes precedence and I would not have it any other way. Your sunny disposition often drove the metaphorical clouds away from the horizon, and brought much needed candor and honesty. We are diminished by your absence, but hope that you will return, later. We'll keep in contact, of course, via G+ and the like, but as a matter of my current position as a moderator, thank you.

And, as Dr. Seuss would have said, "Oh the places you'll go."
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Hopefully after a nice long rest and a chance to regain a little equilibrium you'll be back. But either way have a huge hug and a big thanks from me for being such a valuable and dedicated member of the team. Heart
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Take care, Rachel. Thank you for everything.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Take care, Summer, and thank you for everything that you did to keep everyone happy and compassionate toward each other. And thank you for your service.
I hope that you will come back in the future after a nice break. And if you don't, then, well, do whatever makes you happy. Tongue

(Drama time):
[Image: sbknp.jpg]
No reason holding me back now ...

[Image: SuicideJump.gif]

Sad
[Image: Evolution.png]

Wow, what can I say? This forum will simply not be the same without you. I was hoping you and some of the others would come up and visit me at the observatory this year. I guess that was just wishful thinking. Stay your sweet self and don't let anyone tell you that you are not a good person because you most certainly are: One of the good ones, no doubt about it. I will miss you. And if you are ever in the Louisville area, look up the LAS and say hi.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Farewell Rachel and take care. You will leave a void in the forum that will not be filled and I hope that after some time and reorganization of your private life you'll find your way back here. I think I speak for most people here that we'll be waiting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well I'm off to Devon Cod 26 3514 August 4, 2019 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Cod
  Neil deGrasse Tyson off the hook! chimp3 5 1231 March 16, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Fell off my bike tonight Foxaèr 48 2664 October 22, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  I'm off on holidays again GUBU 6 950 September 4, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  My humor, I know it's off the wall Foxaèr 13 2072 May 8, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Pick the time you want me off Mystic 42 5028 February 1, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Should I fuck off to bed. Succubus 11 1367 January 27, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: John V
  Fartbook is really ticking me off right now. Brian37 0 599 November 16, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Very Off Topic, but is being a virgin a turnoff for the ladies? NuclearEnergy 34 3814 November 13, 2017 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Am off to Berlin in September GUBU 28 4422 August 5, 2017 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: GUBU