Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Middle East?
Why Middle East?
Why did all the three main religions (that is Christianity, Judaism and Islam) have thier origins in the middle east? I am curious. I asked this to my fellow Christian brothers and none could answer it. Probably someone here can.

I have actually heeded advise from some members here and now doing my own research.
RE: Why Middle East?
All I know is that Judaism is derivative of Mesopotamian bronze age religions (Iraq area). (Which of course led to both Christianity and Islam)

Agriculture, urbanization and writing are the primary prerequisites for the growth of an advanced civilization, all of which took root in ancient Mesopotamia.

EDIT: Fixed inaccuracy, primary prerequisites for an advanced civilization not religion, merely religion occurs in social groups, and the most advanced group will be the dominant one in geographical terms. Your research should focus on Mesopotamian movements to Zoroastrianism and Judaism.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(April 10, 2012 at 5:45 am)Christian Wrote: Why did all the three main religions (that is Christianity, Judaism and Islam) have thier origins in the middle east? I am curious. I asked this to my fellow Christian brothers and none could answer it. Probably someone here can.

I have actually heeded advise from some members here and now doing my own research.

There were civilizations in the middle east way before there were any in the west, due to the fertile crescent formed by the Tigris and Euphrates, and the Nile. The basis of Judaism, and therefore christianity, are the old religions in Mesopotamia, such as in Babylon, but whittled down to one god.

The middle east had a huge influence on the development of the western world. The ancient Greek religion was based on various hittite and Phoenician beliefs. The Phoenicians were a civilisation in Canaan, and created the alphabet upon which the Hebrew and Greek ( and therefore latin) alphabets are based upon. The Phoenicians were very rich, so their influence spread.

The Greeks also had a huge influence, as the romans emulated the greeks in every which way they could. Then, when the roman empire converted to christianity, it converted western europe, who didn't really have collective worship. It had a lesser influence on the middle east, who had their own religions, such as Mithraism, Zoroathrianism and Judaism.

Islam was spread by the sword (generals like Khalid ibn Whalid were instrumental in this) , and by the 9th century CE, had an empire stretching from spain to afghanistan. People gravitated to the religions that were espoused by their rulers, since religious tolerance hardly existed ( it existed more so in the Islamic Caliphates, which valued the jewish people because they were often very learned).

That's all I can think of for now.
Well the 2 are just a spin off from the Judaism...... Its like the holy trinity of mythology ..the Father (Jewish) the son (Christianity) and the Holyshit (Islam).... When you have a Religion that says convert or DIE with a large army behind it, and the leaders of the time using it to exsploit the poor. You get this perfect storm. You can tell who had the stronger armies back then .The religion of that people survived... for example the Hindu religion come from a region that had a strong military so that religion survived.
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
(April 10, 2012 at 5:45 am)Christian Wrote: Why did all the three main religions (that is Christianity, Judaism and Islam) have thier origins in the middle east? I am curious. I asked this to my fellow Christian brothers and none could answer it. Probably someone here can.
These are monotheistic religions and monotheism is a product of ancient Egyptian theology.
Please have a look here: http://atheistforums.org/thread-11223.html

"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

The question I've always had is why not everywhere in the world? People come and go without ever having the chance to hear about this god purely because of their geographical 'starting point'.

Why the disadvantage?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Its actuall like divergent evolution from a common ancestor. The common ancestor was Abrahamic monotheism. Christianity considers itself the fulfillment of OT prophesy about the Messiah. Mohammed was, according to Islam, the seal of the prophets but acknowledges Jesus as a prophet and has its roots in Abraham. That area was the "cradle of civilization" due in large part to the fact that it represented a natural geological migration of humans out of the diaspora.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Quote:The common ancestor was Abrahamic monotheism

The remote common ancestor was Zoroastrianism...enforced by the armies of Persia.

1. All three? There are no other main religions? As a matter of fact there are, and all but those few you mentioned did not originate in the middleeast.

2. All three? Christianity and Islam might claim to be main religions due to number of adherents. But based on what is Judiasm cnsidered a main religion in the same league, and above several with much more numerous following?

Just because your nailed godboy happen to have answered to Judiasm?
(April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm)Chuck Wrote: 1. All three? There are no other main religions? As a matter of fact there are, and all but those few you mentioned did not originate in the middleeast.

2. All three? Christianity and Islam might claim to be main religions due to number of adherents. But based on what is Judiasm cnsidered a main religion in the same league, and above several with much more numerous following?

Good link along those lines:

http://howmanyarethere.net/how-many-reli...the-world/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam, the middle east, and how arabs are a broken people. shapb 26 5734 December 27, 2014 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Spooky
  A friend said peace in the middle east is soon and god will return? masterx1234 25 5428 July 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Photo AMEN is AMN (East and West) StrongWaters 23 8462 December 7, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11559 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik