Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torture
Torture
This does not relate to atheism, so I posted in this misc. section.

Here is a link which posts Top Secret (some blacked out sections) documents concerning torture.

http://www.uslaw.com/pop/bush-doj-cia-to...ves/?p=182
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
RE: Torture
You think torture is wrong then?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
It depends what you want to use it for. It is a lousy method of finding out accurate information. It can be a very efficient deterrent.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Torture isn't relieble. It's highly inaccurate when it comes to getting information, there are better ways. So it's both unnessessary and wrong.
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
FWIW, if the chips were down and lives are genuinely (not politically) believed to be at stake, yeah I'd consider torture! All I have to do is imagine one of my family's lives at risk combined with the firm belief that the person not telling knows where they are and it's no contest. If I feel that way I'd be a hypocrite to say other are wrong.

I also believe that "rights" are something, in a "civilised" society, you get granted by default but buy into over time ... if you do not treat people with a view to their rights you CANNOT expect them to treat you with that same consideration. I believe in responsibilities not rights i.e. that rights are a result of people observing their responsibilities, that rights are granted and not innate.

Oh yeah .,.. and I'm a moral relativist.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Way I see it, you have problems with someone, you run, fight them off, or kill them. A torturer is sick.
Quote:FWIW, if the chips were down and lives are genuinely (not politically) believed to be at stake, yeah I'd consider torture!

As would I and most moral relativists I think.

I'd like to see evidence that the threat of torture is a deterrent to terrorism or any kind of spying. I agree torture is probably a deterrent to open civil disobedience.
Quote:A torturer is sick.

A fatuous ad hominem response.

Although a person would need to be a sadist to enjoy hurting others,one does not need to be mentally disturbed to do so. EG Many people consider it perfectly acceptable to hurt childern to teach or punish them. The church tortured and burned heretics alive for centuries,to maintain power.The decision was cold and rational --and it worked as a policy. Were the people who implemented the policy"sick'? Probably more than a few. But ALL of them. I doubt it.

The knee jerk demonisation of people who do revolting things has always bothered me. After WW2,one of the most horrifying discoveries was that many of the Nazi criminals involved in a range of war crimes were not in any way mentally ill ,but quite ordinary and banal human beings.

It seems to be a human reaction to demonise any person or group guilty of heinous behavior. They become "'sick"' "evil" or "monsters". Of course,sometimes such people are precisely that..There is never any problem finding evidence after the fact.

I think this labeling process our way of distancing ourselves from such actions. If we can prove such people are 'sick' or 'evil' we can then convince ourselves that "WE"RE not like THAT!"' . Of course we''re ALL capable of being exactly like that. My perception is to deny the existence of our dark side is counter productive. Forewarned is forearmed.

000000000000000000000000--------------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000000

from Wiki:

Quote:The banality of evil is a phrase coined by Hannah Arendt and incorporated in the title of her 1963 work Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil.[1] It describes the thesis that the great evils in history generally, and the Holocaust in particular, were not executed by fanatics or sociopaths but rather by ordinary people who accepted the premises of their state and therefore participated with the view that their actions were normal.

See also

"Hitler's Willing Executioners; Ordinary Germans And The Holocaust" 9 Daniel Jonah Goldhagen;ABACUS,2001)
Nice post, padraic.

(June 1, 2009 at 6:57 pm)lrh9 Wrote: Way I see it, you have problems with someone, you run, fight them off, or kill them. A torturer is sick.

Aside from what padraic already said, your post isn't really relevant to the current debate about torture. People aren't being waterboarded because the US Military 'has problems with them', but as a part of an interrogation to extract information.

Obviously nobody condones torture as a method of solving interpersonal 'problems'.

Some might say a killer is 'sick', despite your obvious acceptance of murder as a problem solving tool.
- Meatball
It's the information extraction that I have a problem with. If you torture a person long enough they will tell you anything, whether it is the truth or not, whether they actually know something or not. It is a very inefficient tool for data gathering.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(June 4, 2009 at 1:18 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: It's the information extraction that I have a problem with. If you torture a person long enough they will tell you anything, whether it is the truth or not, whether they actually know something or not. It is a very inefficient tool for data gathering.
I know I would. Ex-governor Jesse Ventura recently made a great point about waterboarding (of which he has been put under as part of his Navy Seal training):
Quote:If waterboarding's OK, why don't we let our police do it to suspects so we can learn what they know? ... We only seem to waterboard Muslims. ... Have we waterboarded anyone else?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Animal torture purplepurpose 17 2792 May 19, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Torture.. lifesagift 45 5178 October 26, 2014 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Another ABBA thread for your torture. Brian37 29 6363 May 24, 2013 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Violet
  US used 'Christian heavy metal' to torture Iraqi militants Gooders1002 10 3380 February 15, 2013 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Cool ways to torture yourself Napoléon 59 28459 August 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Cyberman